Kiss Engraving

Hey Glowforgers,
I am wanting to barely kiss engrave a pop socket for my husband. My son has wrote “I love Daddy” and we are wanting to put it on the pop socket… but I have no idea on settings or how to NOT engrave so deep… I have done 2 things on my GF… so i am BRAND new… opened it Monday!

2 Likes

I had to look up what a Pop Socket was.

Looks like it’s made of an unknown plastic? You need to be careful because a lot of plastics give off chlorine gas when cut with a laser (which corrodes your Glowforge, and is not recommended).

2 Likes

I had to look it up also :smile:

Agree with @matt5 about the unknown aspect… maybe engraving and cutting a veneer would work?

3 Likes

Low power and high speed will give lighter engraves. Beyond that, it will depend on the material. Never heard of a pop socket, so can’t help you more, but other more hip folks will no doubt come to the rescue. :wink:

1 Like

By the way, found this in their FAQ’s on the website:

What are PopSockets grips made of?
Polycarbonate, TPU, and polyurethane. Also, love.

3 Likes

To save you from searching:
https://www.popsockets.com/

2 Likes

I might consider engraving and cutting one of your proofgrade veneers to fit on the body of it. It’s already adhesive, might look really cool.

3 Likes

Awesome thank you so much!!! I will definitely look at that!

1 Like

Those are all laser safe, so you should be good. I’m not sure how well they engrave, but they shouldn’t hurt you or the machine.

If you don’t have an extra part to practice on, I would recommend Max Speed and Min Power. You can always do multiple passes and adjust the power as needed if it’s too light.

2 Likes