Kitchen sink utensil

So I got tired of putting my good steak knives in the sink and having the wood handles get wet and lose their finish or almost cutting myself picking them out of the dirty dishes to hand wash… So I threw this together today. I have a double sink, so this saddles the divider. And it has enough slots to handle 6 steak knives and one small santoku knife. I have to redo it because the fit for the knives and saddle are a little too sloppy. And one side of the saddle came off because of my failure to glue it well enough. I’m redoing it tomorrow to fix the bugs…I mean features. I’m also going to use Loctite super glue (below). Watch the video.

Also orientation of the design makes a HUGE difference. When I had oriented long lines vertically, I had a print time of 34 minutes. When I oriented them hosizontally, it cut it to 10 minutes.

36 Likes

Nice practical cut.

2 Likes

Great idea!

4 Likes

Clever!

3 Likes

For Acrylic consider using acrylic solvent cement over superglue. It will make a much better bond in my experience.

4 Likes

Great idea!!

Loved the glue video. Loctite makes some incredible glues.

2 Likes

So useful!

2 Likes

What? Why? But surely the speed of the cut is the same? Or is there some engraving in there as well?

4 Likes

Great idea!!

1 Like

Yes there was. I engraved 2 channels along the length for the side saddles to rest in. Again, redoing it and may try finger joints

What a great idea! Seems like you could slump a single piece of acrylic over that divider and fuse the slotted top plate to it to eliminate the right angle joints… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
(I agree the solvent is a good idea too)

Besides keeping the handles from soaking, the design reduces the hazard of the edges and points!
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Which one would you guys recommend?

Probably Weld-on #4. It’s very water like in terms of viscosity. Also get a few needle applicators so you can wick it in well.

2 Likes

Wick it good!

2 Likes

Ah, the engraving horizontally makes more sense. Yes, always try to do your engravings with the longer side going left to right (not front to back). The GF is already slow enough with engraves.

Love this practical cut. I need something similar for our knives with wood handles as well.

1 Like

I read that the weld-on 4 doesn’t last long; evaporates quickly. What size should I get?

It does. The small can (8 oz?) is going to evaporate long before you’re finished using it :slight_smile:

But because it’s fast, it doesn’t have as much chance to mess up your material. Make sure you have your parts setup before you apply it because you’re not going to get a do-over. No repositioning time.

1 Like

So I guess I’ll just get the 1/4 pint then. Thanks

One cool thing about the solvent is with your parts positioned, you can watch capillary action carry it the length of the joint. The solvent essentially dissolves the surface of the two pieces and then evaporates essentially welding them.
The edges cut on a laser are not square, so the surface area contact (strength) is not as great as with acrylic that is cut on a saw.
Biggest difficulty with that stuff is controlling the quantity of application. You develop a “touch” using it.

2 Likes

#16 is thicker and has some gap-filling ability but I’m not sure it’s as easy to apply without making a mess. But that would be an option too.

2 Likes