Kiwi ornament flat pack

I have a dear friend and colleague from New Zealand. I found a pattern online for a flat pack kiwi ornament that I figured I’d try out for her being a kiwi and all. After some adjustments, I came up with a cute design.
Started with a prototype.

Made all the cut lines and scored where the little pips are for easier punching out.

Made a few adjustments then I prepared an area on birch ply with acrylic paint and sprayed on the lighter color using one of my body painting stencils (good thing I do these for a living and have lots of patterns…lol) masked it and cut the file.
Here is the finished product ready for sending.

64 Likes

Awwwww, that is so cute! I love the feet and the stenciled pattern. She’ll love it I’m sure.

4 Likes

Happiest of Cake Days (or is that your birthday?) :tada: @smcgathyfay, and love the kiwi, such a simple but great design. Your friend will love it. Love the idea of adding patterns as well. Coolio!

7 Likes

You always have the COOLEST ideas, that looks great!

5 Likes

Kiwi for a Kiwi…very nice! I think she will love it. Go :glowforge: - Rich

3 Likes

Thanks…and yes its my birthday😁 going home soon to make brownies and play minecraft with my youngest son

16 Likes

Happy birthday! I love the kiwi and am delighted that Discourse decided I could give this the like it deserves. :wink:

3 Likes

Happy Birthday!

PS. Kiwi is adorable. I’m sure your friend will love it.

2 Likes

Whoa! Happy Birthday! And the kiwi is cute, cute, cute!
(But not as cute as your narwhal. just a fact.)

7 Likes

:musical_score::notes:Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday dear Stephanie,
Happy birthday to you! :musical_note::notes:

6 Likes

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!:gift::birthday::tada::confetti_ball::sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

Thank you all for the birthday wishes and the song!!:squeeee::grinning:

6 Likes

Did a snowflake too for her partner. :grinning::snowman:

Prototype

On painted baltic birch ply

39 Likes

Cute projects. You are just so-o-o awesome!

2 Likes

Out of likes :+1: And happy b-day btw :tada::tada::tada:

2 Likes

Happy birthday :gift::balloon::birthday::tada:

And the ornaments look awesome!!!

1 Like

Oh wow! The stencils are brilliant!

2 Likes

Where are the “pips” - the cut s smooth all around (unless I’m thinking of the wrong term - I assume it is like tabs that keep the pieces from falling out -, still attached - just barely. Also , did you paint and stencil before cutting ( top picture was original model and painted was never “popped out” to be gifted)? Great job btw…!

2 Likes

Yes, painted the board, then cut it out.

The pips show on the underside…here’s a view from the unpainted prototype.

16 Likes

I forgot to wish you a happy birthday in one of the other threads, so I’ll do it here: Happy Birthday! :birthday:

2 Likes