Knitting Things - Shawl Pin and Needle Gauge/Ruler Keychain

Needed a shawl pin today because even LA gets chilly. Starting a new pattern that uses mm instead of US sizes for needles so I thought I’d make a needle sizer/ruler keychain as well. Enjoy!

36 Likes

So…a Mickey mouse pin. :grin: or a surprised frog! Ha ! :sunglasses: nice job. A idea to a finished product so quick.

5 Likes

No no no… It’s one of the manamana Muppets.

8 Likes

I surely have no idea as to what you’re talking about. It’s my way of showing my love of H2O :wink:

15 Likes

A mini custom needle sizer is such a great idea!

3 Likes

Extra points for the water reference! :smile:

4 Likes

Ha! That blared out through the library today as someone’s cell phone ringtone.

It was a teacher’s. :laughing:

5 Likes

The wife knits. She may have seen this… and now she wants one of those gauge ruler things. And I have no idea where to even start with that.

The overall size of this is 3"x1". I set the keychain hole as a different size since a circle is too similar to the needle gauge sizes. I set up needle sizes to range from 2 to 10. I used this charge to find conversions between US and non-us sizes http://p2tog.com/conversionchart.html

I was worried that I’d have to adjust the kerf to make sure the sizing was precise, but I didn’t need it after all.

The ruler parts are just etched. I tried this with both med. PG draftboard and plywood and both worked beautifully (I recommend wood because of the keyhole but DB is still good).

Hope this helps and glad she liked it!

1 Like

Ah, thank you! I shall have to practice my design kung-fu, but at least I have a place to start now.

She dyes and sells her own yarn. As well as knits with it, so I’m certain she’ll love it.

As long as I can actually design the dang thing, still a bit wet behind the ears when it comes to designing for the lazer.

Glad I could be of help! Only request is that if the intent is to sell, if you could change the general design since I’ll be listing these online soon. Other than that, good luck!

Yeah, I already planned on changing the design. I just needed to know the diameter of the holes for the needle sizing whatsits and what they correlated to. I don’t intend to sell anything. I’m just doing this for fun.

The number right below the needle gauge is the mm size so you can set your circle to that and it will cut precisely, without needing to adjust kerf :vulcan_salute:

Does anyone have this design for sale that can be printed and sold? I have a group asking for these.
Thanks

Just a gentle reminder, we are not allowed to ask for files in the forum.

1 Like

I apologize.