Knotwork - after Dürer - after Leonardo

I’ve been playing and experimenting with how delicate I can get.

There was this one design by Duhrer (based on a design by Leonardo) that I was thinking I could clean up and etch but I thought - what if I designed the entire image for only cuts? Have all the lines go all the way through!

Of course - this meant I had to go from dirty scanned data to shapes and then because I didn’t want shapes (or even outlines) to make the shapes into single lines and create enough gaps so that it wouldn’t fall apart. My final design is a little removed from Duhrer but I think it works!

In wood and acrylic!

63 Likes

fine detail

1 Like

Wow! That’s incredible! :grinning:

1 Like

Stunning!

1 Like

So delicate! The detail is amazing!

1 Like

That’s a gorgeous piece of wood you scored that great design on!
A rag on a fingertip wet with alcohol or acetone (faster) will clean that smoke off. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks - and those lines go all the way through - no score. I will clean it up later - we have our own concoction for getting rid of the soot / smoke. Plus if I tape up the next one it is easy to get off because it’s one long piece (no holes).

1 Like

Unless it’s a trade secret, we would like to know about your cleaning formula.

1 Like

Is it isopropyl alcohol, splinters, swearing, sandpaper, remaking it with masking, and then swearing at the masking?

Because that’s my method :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Breathtaking pieces! And I think I would be holding my breath when handling them—they look so delicate.

1 Like

The initial run which was shapes and not lines was very fragile (see picture ) and practically dissintegrated. The new ones are pretty sturdy.

6 Likes

Wow, absolutely beautiful detail!

You obviously have waaayyy more patience than I do. Now, what do you do with it?

Love the wood! This machine is so fun!

Oh that is brilliant! I am working on a couple of similarly complex design - like a mandala of sorts - and struggling with the same issue with fragility of the output. I’d love to hear more about how you went from shapes to lines - by hand? I’ve tried so many ways to automate the process, I swear it would take me a week to trace it all out by hand…

Wow