Kumiko-Style Lantern

Oh this is a beautiful design to me! Great job.

1 Like

Seconded, I like the flat too…

3 Likes

I’m with the others on the flat top.

1 Like

Sounds like flat is the winner. Good, that saves me some redesign time!

2 Likes

I had a similar issue…

and this is what I did…

after I cut what was supposed to be engraved… :flushed:

11 Likes

That’s beautiful!

1 Like

S your design part is different than your structure you could do that on all five faces . :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Flat, looks more ‘finished’. Stunning piece … how long was the cut time?

2 Likes

This is gorgeous!! I love it!

1 Like

I like the one on the right best (the flat one).

1 Like

The basswood panels took a little over an hour. The frame was pretty quick. :blush:

1 Like

Ruth, this is beautiful! Love the delicate look, and basswood makes it even more striking! I also like the flat top best.

1 Like

This is what I guess is a modernized version as it takes glue, and there are so many opportunities to use a laser instead, but wondering how they would do a self supporting design with no glue.

2 Likes

The 2nd one (flat top). Looks finished that way.

1 Like

Definitely flat! (but you knew that already…)

1 Like

I was going to suggest the same! I have similar candles at home and they come with a remote control. I love this lantern you created!

3 Likes

I found an interesting App for making your own designs for this though curves are too easy to add and so i went there.
http://kaleidopaint.com/

The App works better

4 Likes

I could see several of these lining a driveway at night with a battery operated tea light to “light the way.” These are just beautiful!!

2 Likes

Had to download that straight away - thanks!

2 Likes

I was geeking out on Kumiko work online just yesterday… trying to figure out how to replicate it. Well done!

2 Likes