Lack of PG Material/Stock

I bought my machine back in June. Every time I look to purchase proofgrade material it is all sold out. Is Glowforge moving away from selling material? If not, is there a plan to actually have stock on-hand for people to purchase?

The pandemic has caused supply issues for everyone. Glowforge :proofgrade: is milled to very exacting standards so it’s even harder for them (it’s not like they can switch providers at the drop of a hat).

In the meantime, you can get workable stuff from other places, even finished stuff - just not pre-masked. Luckily masking is inexpensive and pretty easy to add yourself.

You can do a search on here for “[material] source” and you’ll likely come up with a bunch of options.

6 Likes

Ah, yes - very good point.

1 Like

I’m sorry that we don’t have much in stock right now. Due to a combination of challenges with inventory due to COVID-19 and unprecedented demand, we’ve had a hard time keeping Proofgrade materials in stock. This has been very frustrating for all our customers, and for us as well!

We are working hard to fix this situation, but I’m afraid I don’t have any information about when materials will be available. You can sign up to be notified when we have them by clicking “Email Me When Available” on the page for a material at shop.glowforge.com.

In the meantime, if there’s a Joann near you, they may have the Proofgrade materials you want in stock, and many locations are offering curbside pick-up.

In addition, your Glowforge can print on many materials, as long as the supplier can confirm for you that it is laser-compatible. We’ve heard of customers purchasing at Inventables, Johnson Plastics, TAP Plastics, Lowes, and Home Depot. Please confirm with the supplier you choose to ensure it’s laser-compatible, though, as we aren’t experts on other companies’ products.