Lagging Issues

I have been experiencing serious lagging issues on the glowforge app. I have deleted any unnecessary files in my library (leaving me with just 2 I uploaded) and it’s still persisting.
Any advice?

1 Like

Support will likely ask you to:

… and if that doesn’t help, then:

1 Like

It is not the files that’s giving me trouble. I had just read a post that stated that the files could be an issue. Therefore, I deleted any and all files I had saved to make certain that was not the issue.

It’s just in general that the app is lagging upon use.

Any advice is much appreciated as it took over 20 minutes to get one image shifted onto my item in the machine. It just continued to sit in a freeze mode.

Not real sure how to correct this situation.

There might be signal interference on your Wifi, or it might be dropping the signal, which tends to lock things up.

Try doing this, in this order, to clear the decks and start fresh:

• Start with the Hardware

The most common solution to Wi-Fi challenges is to restart all the devices involved in connecting to the internet.

1. Turn off the computer, phone, or tablet that you’re using
  2. Turn off your Glowforge
  3. Unplug your modem
  4. Unplug your Wi-Fi access point
  5. Wait one minute, then plug everything back in and turn them back on
  • Check Your Environment

There are two places to start in troubleshooting your environment

Improve the signal path between your Glowforge and your Wi-Fi access point

Wi-Fi signals need a clear path. Remove physical barriers, and move devices closer together:

• Move your Wi-Fi access point up high and make sure it’s in an open space. Avoid locating your Wi-Fi access point on the ground, under a desk, in a cabinet, or in a corner where its signal can be blocked.
  • Relocate your Wi-Fi access point closer to your Glowforge
  • Move your Glowforge closer to your Wi-Fi access point
  • Install a Wi-Fi range extender closer to your Glowforge
  • Run an ethernet cable and install a second Wi-Fi access point next to your Glowforge

Reduce electronic and Wi-Fi interference

• If your unit is near other devices that use Wi-Fi or a large number of electronics, temporarily turn off other electronics and devices in the area

• Double check the area near the Glowforge for anything that might cause interference, such as large amounts of metal, thick glass, or other broadcasting or receiving devices such as security systems, baby monitors/walkie talkies, or cordless phones

• Check your Settings

Have any changes been made?

• Check your Wi-Fi network and settings to make sure nothing has changed. If any of the following has happened, please follow the steps at setup.glowforge.com to complete the setup process again:
    • Your network name or password changed
    • You’ve replaced your Wi-Fi access point or other networking hardware
    • You’ve changed internet service providers or moved location
  • Any changes to your security or access point settings may cause issues with your connection. If possible, reverting those changes may help get you connected again

Make sure you’re up-to-date

Check for any updates that might need to be applied for all the things involved in connecting:

• Your computer’s operating system
  • Your web browser
  • Your Wi-Fi access point’s firmware
  • Your modem’s firmware

After you’ve applied all recommended updates, turn your Glowforge on and log in to app.glowforge.com.

• Last thing is to Try a Test!

Your Glowforge needs internet access. However, it does not need to be connected to the same network as the computer, phone, or tablet you are using to print.

For example, you can create a hotspot on your cell phone and use that network to connect your Glowforge to Wi-Fi. This is a good way to rule out Wi-Fi interference, since you can set your phone right on top of your Glowforge!

You can find instructions online to help you create a Wi-Fi hotspot from your cell phone. Make sure that you set it up to be a 2.4 GHz hotspot, since that is the frequency your Glowforge uses.

Once the Wi-Fi hotspot is broadcasting, you can connect to it by following these steps:

• Turn on your Glowforge.
  • Wait 30 seconds. Then hold down the button for ten seconds until it glows teal.
  • Navigate to setup.glowforge.com and follow the instructions on-screen. When prompted to connect your Glowforge to Wi-Fi, choose the hotspot you created.
  • Once Wi-Fi setup is complete, go to app.glowforge.com and try a few prints.

If this does not clear the lagging problem while using the hotspot, please continue to troubleshoot your network.

Let us know if any of these clear it up, and once the problem is resolved you can stop testing. The first option listed takes care of most problems encountered. If you are still seeing the behavior after running through the entire list, let support know you performed all of these tests and they can look at the logs to see what is happening during that time period.

1 Like

I have tried all things listed and the problem still remains. I will reach out to support. Thank you.

Posting here is support, your first post opened a ticket. They will check in eventually.

The info posted by me and Jules is what Support recommends for these kinds of issues, so it will be interesting to see what else they come back with.

… although I doubt it’s related to the network. The UI works just fine even when you are not connected. I can load any design, turn off my wifi, and work on it just fine. Obviously changes won’t be saved until the wifi connection is re-enabled.

1 Like

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.