Lagging today October 2 2019

Continuing the discussion from Having issues with lag:
I can’t upload artwork from gallery only from desktop also it is quiet as a mouse last week this joker was Loud!!! Today super soft and quiet. What’s wrong? It’s cutting soooooooo slow!!! Help please

1 Like

Glad that it’s not just us, we are also incapable of running a print that had virtually no issues to do just a week or so ago. Page keeps freezing, until the all familiar “PRINT STOPPED” error message. This is getting old.

Yes and when I contacted support via chat they basically told me to look here because I was cutting a non proof grade…so I got out my proof grade popped it in and it did the same thing. No answers…

1 Like

https://statuspage.glowforge.com/ isn’t showing anything, and I wasn’t having any problems so it’s not universal.

1. Can’t upload from the gallery: you mean art that is already uploaded won’t open, or that you can’t use the upload button on the gallery page?

2. Loud vs quiet: The actual machine while forging is quiet? The main source of noise is the fan - do you have a filter, or are you venting outside? Is there anything blocking the intake on the underside of the GF (check around the edges)

3. Cutting slow: Something you have cut before is taking longer than it used to? Double check the settings to make sure the speed hasn’t been adjusted. If you’re using different material then the speeds can definitely be different.

@metaldrummer13 - Staff can only open 1 ticket per post so you’ll want to open your own (unless you’ve already emailed in which case duplicates will just slow down their response)

Print Stopped is often a temperature issue. Are you using a filter or venting outside? What’s the temperature in the GF room? If venting, what’s the temperature outside?

i will concur that the UI was significantly slower yesterday (10/2). Seems quicker today. It never got to the point that I could not print but it was irritating/ maddening as it was really slowing down the work flow.

I’m so sorry to hear about the trouble when using the Glowforge app. Thank you for also letting us know about your machine being more quiet than usual lately.

When you were having trouble uploading to the app, was this happening with just a single design, or all designs which you tried to upload? If it was a single design, may I have a copy of the file so that I can investigate the issue for you?

I extracted the logs from your unit, and was able to see that some of your recent prints weren’t starting successfully. When I took a closer look, these prints appear to be on a clear, unmasked material. In the logs I found error messages which indicate your unit is having trouble correctly identifying the height of the material being used.

In order to verify if your Glowforge is printing correctly, would you please run the following test for me?

1. Turn off your Glowforge.
  2. Check for small pieces of debris or dust.
  • Check the lower door to make sure it closes all the way. It may require some force to open, but open it, wipe any dust off the edges, and close it all the way.
  • Remove the tray and clean any dust or debris from the surface underneath. Pay careful attention to remove all debris from the four dimples where the tray rests.
  • Check the lid to make sure it closes all the way. Small particles of material, such as dust or debris, can prevent it from closing completely.
  1. Check the surface your Glowforge is on to make sure it’s flat. Ensure it is not twisted slightly and that there is no debris propping up one side of the machine.
  2. Turn your Glowforge back on.
  3. We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Place the Proofgrade Draftboard in the center of the bed and print the Gift of Good Measure using the default settings.
  4. When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates.
  5. Please let me know the date and time of the test print, and we’ll check the results

Regarding your unit being quieter than normal, do you have a compact filter attached to your Glowforge? If so, I’d like to make sure that the settings for your Compact Filter are correct. The knob on the Compact Filter controls the power to the fan. If the power is too high or too low, your filter will not work properly. I’d like to make sure it’s turned to the right setting.

1. What setting is the knob on your Compact Filter turned to?
  2. If it’s currently on “New,” would you turn it to use the middle setting, halfway between “New” and “Full” and let us know if that eliminates the smoke and fumes while you print?

Thank you!

3 Likes

thank you so much I fixed the knob on the compact filter I can hear it now. My machine is not dirty or dusty I have only cut the mylar I set it at 0.1 in height and it still wants to cancel print due to it being the wrong height. I just keep refreshing and trying again until it works sometimes I give up. This is really the only material I am interested in cutting I won’t be fooling with any wood leather or acrylic. my material is actually .007 mil thick (mil is not milliliters ) is there something I can place under it while I cut I tried a piece of paper but it cuts through as well. someone once told me a piece of paper like copy paper is .001 mil thick if that helps. Thank you

Here is a something you could try. Rather than setting the height, use the set focus feature. With your material in place and the lid closed, click on the gear shaped icon (above the 12 on the horizontal ruler). you will get a few choices. Click on set focus and then move the mouse until you have the target above your material and click. the machine will work for about a minute and then it will allow you to click the “Print” button. This process measures the actual thickness vs having you input it. Once you use this, you will never go back to the other way.

3 Likes

Thank you when you say put the focus above the material do you mean over top of it or actually above where the material starts on the crumb tray?

place the square-ish target so that it is above the material you want to cut, put in anywhere close to the middle. You do not need to be super accurate, do not try line it up with the cut . you are using this tool to let the machine kow how thick the material is. it is really simple. search this forum for set focus to learn more.

yep I tried that many times I still get the same message

Would you please run a quick test print for me using Proofgrade material so that I can check to make sure that your unit is working as expected?

Here are the steps to follow:

1. Turn off your Glowforge.
  2. Check for small pieces of debris or dust.
  • Check the lower door to make sure it closes all the way. It may require some force to open, but open it, wipe any dust off the edges, and close it all the way.
  • Remove the tray and clean any dust or debris from the surface underneath. Pay careful attention to remove all debris from the four dimples where the tray rests.
  • Check the lid to make sure it closes all the way. Small particles of material, such as dust or debris, can prevent it from closing completely.
  1. Check the surface your Glowforge is on to make sure it’s flat. Ensure it is not twisted slightly and that there is no debris propping up one side of the machine.
  2. Turn your Glowforge back on.
  3. We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Place the Proofgrade Draftboard in the center of the bed and print the Gift of Good Measure using the default settings.
  4. When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates. Without moving your artwork or your material, take a screenshot of the Workspace to show us the difference between the artwork placement and the actual print placement. Make sure to include the rulers in your screenshot and show as much of the bed as possible.
  • Mac: Press Shift-Command-4 and click and drag a box around your image. You’ll find the screenshot file saved on your desktop.
  • Windows: Click on the Start Menu and type “snipping tool”. Open the Snipping Tool > New then click and drag a box around your image. Click the Save icon and name and save your file.
  1. Send us the screenshot along with the date and time of the print, and we’ll investigate.

Thank you!

I’ve done all that it doesn’t help at all even when it tells me to select material its grayed out and reads auto I can not even click on it to change it what is the thinnest material I can cut with the tray in and if nothing what can I lay under my material to make this work this is becoming a big waste of time and money … irritated

Put white paper masking tape on the material if it is clear. The laser head can’t focus on transparent materials. Failing that, affix the mylar to a sheet of sacrificial plywood (flat) or cover the bed with white tape underneath it.

Masking on top is going to net you the best alignment. Supplies can be purchased many places, including Amazon if you don’t want to buy a whole lot of it before you test it.

Thank you Jules if I take a piece of that proofgrade wood they sent me and cover it with masking tape can I lay my material on top and let it figure out the height itself? I’m wondering if I can use transfer tape I have a huge 6" roll?

Is that a paper tape for transferring vinyl? If so that works perfectly for masking, but be sure the mylar is completely flat on top of it.

That will get you past the error message on the height reading.

BUT… the one thing you’d need to do is hold down the mylar. There is a mat called a Seklema mat that is designed to hold down lightweight materials for lasering, and it’s sticky, so it will hold it down everywhere - even after little bits have been cut out. You don’t want those getting blown into the exhaust fan, it will screw it up, and that’s a pain to replace, so make sure whatever you are using, you have that mylar locked down.

If you’re planning to do nothing but mylar, it’s worth the investment. You can make your own using Krylon #7020 repositionable adhesive spray on a sheet of very flat plywood, but the laser is going to cut it up, you’ll need to keep replacing it. The Seklema mat is designed to be reused through light cuts., and can be rinsed to renew the stickiness. (And make sure your settings are just right to cut through the mylar and not deeply past that.)

Okay, enough warnings…try the masking on the sheet of plywood or directly on the grid. Just make sure your material is taped down flat all around. :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you I am trying it now I’m using the plywood they sent me =)

1 Like

Thank you, @Jules, for that advice. I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate further, and I believe the trouble you’re seeing is due to using shiny or reflective materials. Proofgrade materials have a masking which allows the laser to detect and determine the height of transparent, shiny, or reflective materials. Without that masking, your unit has trouble detecting the height of your material and may generate an error. You may want to try including masking during this project. The nontransparent surface will allow the laser to measure properly.

I’m going to close this thread, but if you run into any other trouble please start a new topic or email us at support@glowforge.com. Thanks!

1 Like