Lake depth chart

That’s so cool! Maybe around 16-20 layers, but I defer to your judgement.

Superior is around 1,400 feet deep so 20 layers would be an interval of about 70 feet. How about starting with 75 feet, that multiplies into even 100’s of feet every few contours?

I will see how it turns out, send it to you and we can go from there. You have amazing determination to cut that many layers!!!

2 Likes

That sounds great!

1 Like

We then you’re locked to 1/8” = 70 feet which would mean your map would be roughly 434 acres.

Ok so I may have made that up. But it’d be big for sure.

2 Likes

Do you have a preference for the map projection? I have to project the raster data before I vectorize it.

Here are three options and the advantage of each. The major difference in the three projection examples is in the rotation of the data, look at the two latitude lines of each photo to see the rotation.

1. Michigan-North Zone NAD. If you use data sets like roads from Michigan, they will probably line up the vector bathymetric lines. Also the top and bottom parallels are not canted as much.

2: Great Lakes Albers. If you use Canadian and U.S. data focused on Lake Superior, there is a chance that these data sets will match the vectors.

1. CONUS (Continental U.S.) Albers-NAD83 HARN. If you use data sets from Federal data sources they should match

I have a bunch of U.S. data sets (roads, streams, political boundaries, etc) and some Canadian data sets (they are much harder to locate). Once you decide the projection and data content, I could reproject all the data sets to fit the DEM / vectors at some future date. That would eliminate any need to digitize. You have enough work with burning the layers and assembling them!!!

2 Likes

Ok I did the math, Lake Michigan would be 1100 feet wide or so at that scale. Man that thing is big.

1 Like

This is how these should be done. Very well done and great way to keep exploring ideas. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you! I appreciate it! :slight_smile:

Based on my limited knowledge I would lean toward option 1. Where did you learn do do all this? It’s quite impressive!

How about Crater Lake in Oregon? I think it’s the deepest lake in the US, and not very big due to being a volcanic crater. Also? I bet you could sell a few; it’s a pretty popular vacation / honeymoon / etc. spot. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gorgeous job! I love the resin fill. I’d be wanting to add a touch of blue-green to the resin, but that’s just me.

1 Like

So creative, I love it!

1 Like

Great work

1 Like

Beautiful map and really engagingly video! Bold move tucking the camera inside the Glowforge.

1 Like

Life long intereset in maps, wood, surveying, GIS, computers, software, how things work… and learning stuff.

It is pretty straight forward and has gotten much easier every year with free public domain software, commercial software that is now very reasonably priced, good data in digital format and cheap computers to process massive data files.

I used to pay $1 a CPU second in the 1960’s for use of a mainframe, not as powerful as modern day desktops. Now I sometimes run my computers all night, at that $1 a second rate, it would cost $3,600 an hour! Got to love progress!

I can put together a “cook book” for you this winter if you want to learn the process. I better do it for myself too before I forget everything as I age! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I really like the use of resin and adding the lake depths at each layer. That is super cool!

1 Like

Quite fun way to do your lake map! Chuckled when you played the epoxy pouring in reverse at one point.

1 Like

I’ve loved Riusuke Fukahori’s work for a while! Spectacular!

3 Likes

Absolutely.
Pushing 80, and it’s beginning to happen.
In fact it might have started sometime back, but I’ve forgotten !

:upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Thank you! I did the first two pours with a little bit of blue pigment but it started to get cloudy so I stopped. Dye would probably have worked better.