Lanternia - Temporary Public Art Piece in Seattle

Hi everyone!

I want to share something I built as a distanced-accessible public art project a few weeks ago.

I hand-built this archway from Cedar and then suspended lanterns and ornaments that were all made on my Glowforge. I named it “Lanternia” :grinning:

During the day, iridescent acrylic ornaments made colored shadows that danced in the wind.
By night, three wood lanterns projected crisp geometric patterns across the entire side of the house that was hosting my installation.

Here’s a video during the day:

And by dusk:

Almost 20 Seattle artists made installations that were drive-through & pedestrian-friendly during the week that would have been Burning Man (8/31-9/7). If you were in Seattle at that time, you may have seen this at 38th & Genesee in Columbia City.

Thanks for looking!

54 Likes

Wow, very nice! I like the shapes and detail; it is very beautiful!

4 Likes

Thank you for the kind words! It was a great distraction from the trials of 2020 and it felt good to be putting art into my community :blush:

3 Likes

Very nice. I bet a gentle breeze completely changed the look of the shadows. Wished I lived in an area with more public art.

3 Likes

It did! Most of the time there was a gentle enough breeze that the shadows spun and flowed but weren’t too shake-y to be appreciated.

It’s possible that if you put some public art out that others will follow :wink:

5 Likes

Gosh, that’s gorgeous!

4 Likes

Drive-by art show, great idea. Lanternia is wonderful!

4 Likes

The pieces are so great, but the shadows on the wall lit up at night are amazing. Great project and appreciated by anyone who drives by.

4 Likes

Just lovely!

3 Likes

Beautiful! I love the shadows. Some day I want to make a light fixture that would cast interesting shadows on our back porch.

3 Likes

I was just thinking the same thing!

Getting a string of solar lights and putting something this around them.

2 Likes

You can’t tell but it’s on a ~4ft bluff right by a stop stop sign too, so I got to see slow down by it and sometimes park to take a little longer.

Lots of foot traffic on the sidewalk too!

3 Likes

You should! The main thing I learned was that you want something as close to a single point of hard light as possible. No frosting, and no array of LEDs for crisp shadows :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank You! You have a suggestion what to use?

2 Likes

No problem!

I am still testing a few variants out, but I’m having greater success with incandescent floods than anything LED at the moment.

3 Likes

This is really lovely…and what a great idea for a display. The intricasies of the lanterns are beautiful.

1 Like

This is so lovely! Great job

1 Like

@NateG !!! Exactly what type of lightbulb did you use for this??? I have failed many times and purchased many bulbs to try to do something like this. The project sits near the projector screen to taunt me.
It looks great!

3 Likes

Outstanding! Great light effect especially at night.

1 Like

this is so beautiful and inspiring!!

1 Like