Recently, I began having larger than normal flames on several different types of materials - proofgrade acrylic, proofgrade draftboard, as well as non-PG acrylics and woods. I figured it was time for a deep clean, even though everything was relatively clean. The machine is about 6 weeks old and has been cleaned every weekend. We are only “casual” users.
- I completely disassembled and meticulously cleaned the air assist fan with cue-tips, alcohol, and straw cleaners
- I cleaned every reachable part of the exhaust fan as well as I could from both sides
- I used compressed air to blow out the little fan inside the print head.
- I used a shop vac and air compressor to clean out the vent hose as much as possible
- I use the GlowForge air filter, and so I put in a brand new spare one.
- Standard wipe down of the entire inside, including full circumference of the tube
- Zeiss wipes on all the lenses and mirror. Don’t know if that one over under the far-left side is a lense or a mirror, but zeissed that one, too.
The vent hose is as short as possible with only two less-than-90-degree bends.
Fired the whole thing back up and the first tests on PG Draftboard had the same level of flare up. Here is a short video of a small, 2-inch line being cut on some scrap (now unmasked) PG Draftboard. This is the only cut on the print job, just to demonstrate.
Here is a photo of the air assist fan, as was asked for in another similar thread.