Laser cut Halloween costume

My oldest daughter decided she wanted to be Katniss this Halloween. She has been planning this costume for many months now. She found the dress at a thrift shop and with some help from me designing the back plate/hinge, fabricated the wings from scratch. Last count she placed over 400 individual feathers!

94 Likes

Fantastic! Well done!

4 Likes

That is simply incredible! Fantastic job indeed! :grinning:

5 Likes

Love real creations versus CGI.

That will last forever in memory!

5 Likes

I like sister peeking over the wing.

4 Likes

That is so very, very nice. Your daughter is gorgeous, and so is her costume!

3 Likes

That is absolutely marvelous! I’m debating whether to show this to my daughter or not, because she’s going to want to make one too!

4 Likes

Wow! what a great job! Well done!

2 Likes

Better this one than the one that catches on fire!

Nice work. The young folk certainly can use the laser for great projects like this. Very dedicated and love the colors.

2 Likes

Very cool! First Prize in a Halloween Costume Contest!

3 Likes

Love the costume! It also looks like someone is feeling left out of all the attention in the third pic, lol.

2 Likes

My younger daughter is going to be Effie. It is actually a very creative (and funny) costume that she pieced together also from thrift store finds. I will try to remember to place a photo here once she is all done up with makeup and all her accessories.

6 Likes

Really nicely done! Look at her excitement!

2 Likes

Great costume.

2 Likes

Wow! Outstanding! Really got a kick out of the little sister photobomb.

2 Likes

Any idea on how long it took to cut all the feathers out?

2 Likes

Beautiful costume! Beautiful daughter!

3 Likes

That is one amazing costume!!! She must be thrilled!

1 Like

The feathers cut very fast (max Glowforge speed), but I don’t recall an exact time per sheet. They are made from cardboard packing dividers scavenged from Costco, even thinner than a cereal box.

2 Likes

It’s stunning, and I love her creativity!

You could add little wrist straps/cuffs about 2/3 of the way down each wing, so that the wings move with her arms (and she wouldn’t need to hold on to them when she wanted to stretch them in full).

3 Likes