Laser dies out cutting to the far right

Hey everyone. I am on my second Pro in less than a year of owning a glowforge. The replacement is maybe 2 months old and I’m noticing signiciant issues with what seems to be the strength of the laser.

Over and over again, the laser seems to just die out on the whole 1/3 right of whatever material it is attempting to cut (almost always 1/8 birch ply). I also have a plus which I got at the same time and it 100% has better cutting capabilities, which I feel like should not be the case…

Has anyone else come across this issue, or am I looking at having another faulty laser…?
It’s definitely not the material, because I have been making the same thing out of the same wood from the same supplier for almost a year, and have not had an issue until I got this replacement laser.
IMG_8519|666x500

There are quite a few things that can cause that, as I understand. First off, I would reclean all of the optics (All 6 of them) and make sure the air assist fan is clean and working correctly.
While you are cleaning the optics, look at the window on the left side of the print head to see if there is any discoloration. Sometimes if things aren’t lined up correctly, the laser may be pointing into that window on the left, but may be missing it once it moves all the way to the right. If that is the case, there will probably be some discoloration on or around that window.
Support is probably going to want you to print the Gift of Good Measure on any piece of proofgrade material and put a picture of that here so they can narrow it down.

4 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve run into some trouble with your replacement Glowforge Pro failing to cut through parts of your prints. I’ll be happy to help get this sorted out.

First, thank you for including those photos to help us see the extent of the print issue. When you have a chance, can you please turn off your Glowforge and verify that the following has been checked?

Once all these things have been checked, please perform the following test print.

• Print the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade material, using Proofgrade settings. It can help to have the test print completed on areas of the print bed where you notice any continual cut trouble.

• When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates.

Check the completed print:

• If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut through, take a photo of the front and back of the print and attach these photos to your reply.

I’lll look forward to your response.

There is a window on the left under the left side that gets the laser to the laser head. If there is the slightest crud there to scatter the light in the slightest, then that scattering would not have much to go when the window is on the left, but gets worse and worse the greater the distance off to the right.

Whenever there is a reduction of power as the laser moves to the right, that breakdown over that distance is about the only logical cause, and that window that many do not realize is even there would be the first place to look.

Hi @kns70702. It’s been a little since our last response. I wanted to check in with you to see if you were still encountering any print trouble. If so, feel free to send the results of the Gift of Good Measure test print whenever is most convenient for you. We’ll be here and happy to help!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.