Laser Engraving Polyurea coating material

Hi all, I’m hoping to do some basic logo engraving onto 0.035" thick polyurea coating we have sprayed on some parts. I want to check to make sure nothing toxic will burn off and be dangerous… so I got the MSDS safety sheet from the polyurea MFG, but it’s complex. Anyone good at picking out the relevant info from MSDS sheets and knowing where to google/find if the chemical compounds are toxic when burnt?

I have a filter for the GF btw (the stock GF one), but still want to be safe. Or should I not worry if I have the filter?

Edit: Here are the chemicals it is made up of:
15% METHYLENEDIPHENYL DIISOCYANATE
5% CARBONIC ACID CYCLIC PROPYLENE ESTER
30% Propanol, [(1-methyl-1,2-ethanediyl)bis(oxy)]bis-,polymer with 1,1’-methylenebis[isocyanatobenzene] and oxybis[propanol]
2% TITANIUM DIOXIDE
8% DIETHYLTOLUENEDIAMINE
0.6% CARBON BLACK
39.4% POLYOXYPROPYLENEDIAMINE

Disclaimer: I’m a rando with a laser with zero qualifications. Don’t listen to me when it comes to your safety or health.

That being said…

Can you upload the MSDS?

Generally you look at the combustion byproducts and see what’s there. With polymers generally the stuff that comes off is not great to breathe, but in theory your filter should take the VOCs out.

So, I don’t see a chloride, so it probably won’t kill your machine - at least not like pvc would by making hydrochloric acid.

So. If you try it I’d watch it careful to be sure it’s not melting and not burning, and I’d be really sure the ventilation setup is leakproof, but other than that you’ll probably be ok? Upload the MSDS if you want more specific advice.

Also I’d google to see if anyone has tried this elsewhere and maybe reach out to the manufacturer to see if they have any insight.

2 Likes

***EDIT: I forgot about the 2nd part (50%) of the compound chemicals in my initial post… I’ve corrected now and added them… please let me know if anything pops out!!

Thanks for the input evansd2! I agree with your assessment but will dig further on other blogs. Don’t worry I’m not holding anything to anybody health-wise, just looking for advice!

I’ve attached the MSDS now.

I did ask a rep at the MFG and they weren’t helpful. The coating isn’t intended to be exposed to flames or lasers so I don’t think they have testing data on that.

UL XP 6012, A-Side_SDS_Final.pdf (122.1 KB) UL XP 6012, B-Side_SDS_Final.pdf (210.5 KB)