Laser Firing Intermittently From the Printhead

I have had my Glowforge Basic for a little over six months and have been using it without issue. Yesterday I went to do a cut operation and it wouldn’t cut, it would intermittently fire small bursts that would make little dots on the wood. It would cut part of the line, then fire dots again.

This was a design file I have printed countless times on the same 1/8 inch wood with no issue

I have confirmed the settings are not messed up (I have had it happen where I accidently have the machine on lowest power by accident, etc, that’s not what’s going on here).

I have reseated the print head, cleaned the lenses, window, and angled mirror. I have checked and reseated the ribbon cable. The laser tube is lighting up like normal during cuts, and the print head is moving as though the machine “thinks” its cutting. Each time either the cut happens partially/intermittently or not at all.

I’ve restarted the machine and tried another electrical outlet.

I have emailed support and I haven’t heard back yet. I’m really discouraged, especially if this machine craps out a couple weeks after the warranty runs out.

Support will ask you to print the Gift of Good Measure on Medium Draftboard and post pics here.

Thanks for the suggestion. I ran that file with a piece of the draftboard. It engraved part of it, but only “went through the motions” of the scoring and cutting operations.

1 Like

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we repair this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.