Laser head becomes mis-aligned mid print

So, this has happened twice now, but I didn’t report it the first time. I was printing the Dymaxion Globe, and when it was doing some of the final cuts, the laser head became misaligned and started cutting everything shifted slightly to the left. It was enough to ruin some of the engraved pieces (most of it ended up fine). It seems to have only shifted on the X axis, not vertically. I took some photos of the skeleton of the material (PG Draftboard), as well as the miscut pieces. Fortunately Draftboard is pretty cheap, so it isn’t too big of a deal, and it has only happened twice out of all of the times I have used the GF, but it is still worrisome.

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/bI2tK
GF UI post-print, hadn’t touched material yet at this point: https://imgur.com/a/JgSLH

Past reports of similar issues have often been caused by the head hitting something. The front right corner seems to be a danger zone on some machines.

Not saying this is what happened to yours, but it may be worth starting by ruling that out.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry that your print did not come out beautifully.

We’d like to have you try a few troubleshooting steps for us. Could you please do the following?

• Turn off your Glowforge (this is important to avoid damage to your unit)
  • Open the lid and, using both hands, gently move the laser arm to the center of the bed
  • Gently move the head under the lid camera
  • Turn your Glowforge back on
  • We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Please print the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade Draftboard in the lower right hand corner of the bed
  • Let us know the result. If the print looks incorrect, please include a photo, along with the date and time of the print

Thank you in advance!

It’s been a little while since I’ve heard back from you. I hope that’s because everything worked out! If not, just let me know and we’ll get it solved.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread, so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this, please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.