Laser head track jumping

help! Had my gf for 3 wks and yesterday when I turned it on the laser track tried to slide back even though it was already back the whole way. It was jumping and slipping gears. If I manually move the laser head under the camera it will perform ok. Anyone have any ideas why this would be happening?

Lot of possibilities. The unit thinks the head is in a different position than it actually is at power up. Might be a dirty lid camera, might be bright overhead lights. Could be a confusing piece of material left in the bed that the unit identified as the head.

Either way, Support has said that the ratcheting sound and movement should not damage the unit. Though I wouldn’t want it to continue.

2 Likes

Hi @bkwenger. As @rpegg suggests, the Glowforge printer head may have been bumped and it became a little lost. Remember not to move the printer head manually while the Glowforge is on.

Can you try turning off your Glowforge, waiting 30 seconds, turning it back on, and waiting for the Glowforge to recalibrate? Additionally you may also want to try cleaning the lid camera with a Zeiss wipe.

Thanks! It seemed to resolve itself when we put another piece of pg material in. phew!

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!