Laser intermittency

These are the same file. On the bottom one the laser didn’t turn off between sections of the engraving about half way through. This isn’t a consistent problem, just something I thought I’d point out since I couldn’t find anything on the forums in search.

Sorry for the image rotation, my phone won’t let me fix that bit. Tilt your head to the right and it looks like it’s supposed to :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Every time I think the Glowforge has done something “funny” it turns out to be the file. Would you care to share the file for inspection? It looks to me like there is an additional line in the lower photo that is not part of the file in the first photo.

I can’t really share the file, but there’s nothing wrong with it. It’s a simple vector, and even the second attempt of the same file (I just moved it and reprinted) worked. I figure it’s just a hiccup or glitch in the system.

Possibly. Also possible that you have open paths in the file somewhere, so if you want to check it yourself, that’s what to look for.

When you printed the file that didn’t work, was the orientation of the unwanted stripe horizontal or vertical?

1 Like

@Jules it was a horizontal stripe, and I took the picture that way, but it rotated somewhere along the line.
There is no open path, I made sure of that before I printed, and the problem hasn’t happened again since, so I’m guessing it was just a hiccup.

Could be. If it doesn’t duplicate it probably was. :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, for future engraves, if you want to make absolutely sure it doesn’t have an open endpoint anywhere, just rasterize the engrave before printing. (It’s quick, it works to clean up the crap you get on the internet very well, and if you use 600 dpi on your PNG, it’s every bit as accurate as vector engraves.)

That’s not a bad idea. All my vectors are made in house, and I usually end by using the “Unite” tool in Illustrator which closes all holes and open paths. If there is an open path somewhere, it mucks up the image and requires an undo and investigation of the area, and I’ve been working with this program and method for printing on a lot of different machines over the years, so I’m pretty confident in it.

1 Like

Can confirm seems an issue with the laser sometimes not turning off for a line or two.

Source appearance:

Engrave:

Source:

Shark_Coloring.zip (70.0 KB)

I am looking forward to someone explaining this to me. More importantly, how to avoid this bizarre behavior or at least anticipate when it might occur.

Looks like more than one line to me, though I couldn’t see anything out right in the source file. I also don’t want to dig through the SVG code :slight_smile:

I’m sorry for the inconvenience. We’re seeing this, too, and we’re looking into it.

In the meantime, I’d like to share some tips that may help to work around the issue.

You can engrave the design by converting it to a bitmap, which will eliminate the issue. In Inkscape you can do this by following these steps:

1. Open the file in Inkscape.
  2. Go to Edit > Preferences > Bitmaps.
  3. Under Create, change the Resolution for Create Bitmap Copy to the resolution of your choice
  4. Close the Preferences window.
  5. Select your image.
  6. Choose Edit > Make a Bitmap Copy.
  7. Inkscape will make a bitmap copy on top of the original artwork.
  8. Click the top artwork to select it, drag it off of the original artwork, and delete the original artwork. You’ll be left with the bitmap copy.
  9. Select File > Save As and save the file as a Inkscape SVG file.
  10. Upload your file to the app and print.

Or, in Adobe Illustrator:

1. Open the file in Illustrator.
  2. Select your image.
  3. Go to Object > Rasterize.
  4. Select File > Save as and save the file as an SVG.
  5. In the SVG Options dialog, under Options, select Embed for Image Location.
  6. Upload your file to the app and print.

I hope this helps!

I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!