Laser not lighting up

I’ve been adjusting my settings to get an accurate cut and suddenly the laser has stopped lighting up. It’s moving like it’s cutting but there’s no light or laser.

Try printing the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade with Proofgrade settings. If it doesn’t cut/engrave perfectly, post pics along with the date and time of the print. Support will be along to help you.

3 Likes

I’m trying to figure out how to upload it, but I just took a video on my phone of the gift of good measure and it was not firing.

Hey @arwindemuller,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I’m so sorry to hear your Glowforge is having trouble printing.

If your Printer Head is moving but you aren’t seeing the laser marking your material, there are two likely causes:

• The mirror in the Printer Head is not installed correctly and may have been damaged.
  • The print power has been set to the lowest possible setting.

First, please inspect the mirror in the Printer Head

• Follow these instructions to access the Printer Head mirror.

• If you see damage to the mirror or the plastic handle (for example, if the plastic handle has been melted), please check the interior of the Printer Head for any additional damage. Note: If there is damage to the plastic handle on the mirror, the mirror may be difficult to remove. You can follow the instructions here for removing a mirror that is stuck.

• If you find any damage inside the Printer Head, please take a photo of the damage and send it to us and we’ll follow up with next steps.

If the mirror looks good, do a test print

• If the mirror is undamaged, please reinstall the mirror.

• Place a sheet of Proofgrade material in the bed of your Glowforge and open the Gift of Good Measure design.

• Before starting the print, please select the default Proofgrade settings. Once the material has been chosen you will see the word, “Cut”, “Score”, or “Engrave” under each step in the design.

• When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the lid image updates.

• If the design prints successfully, it is likely that the power was set too low on the previous print.

• If you still don’t see the laser marking the material, please reply to this email including the date and time (with time zone) when your test print was run.

Please let me know what you find. Thank you!

1 Like

The mirror does not appear to be damaged. The print power is at normal proofgrade setting. Test print of gift of good measure has the same result. The head is moving but the laser is not firing.

Hey @arwindemuller,

Thank you for working through those steps for me. Since the mirror is in good condition and there was no laser on the test print, it looks as though your Glowforge has an issue we won’t be able to solve remotely, and we’ll need to get you a replacement unit.

I see that you also sent as an email regarding this issue. Since we will need to confirm some personal information, I’m going to reply on your email ticket with more information on next steps and close this thread. You will receive my email in just a moment.