Laser Patent Blueprint

Several months ago I was working on another project that involved laser engraving some name tags for my son. The process led me to this project that you see here. I finally got to work on making a laser patent blueprint. The photos below are how it all turned out. The image of the patent was engraved on the back side of a clear piece of acrylic. I did this so that the front surface would remain smooth. Then I mounted this clear engraved image on to a deep blue acrylic to get the blueprint effect. As you can see the end result is near perfect as you could want. It will be a nice addition to my collection of laser artwork I have already added to my home gallery. I will make a frame work that will be mounted on to the back of this project so that it can easily be hung on the wall and give it an offset from the wall at the same time. The project measures 10" X 14.5".

64 Likes

That looks like a fun type of death contraption :joy_cat: Layering and engraved clear piece on blue turned out amazing, and the further framing touches will really pop this piece of art in your collection!

8 Likes

Nailed the blueprint look! :sunglasses:

8 Likes
13 Likes

Wow, that is quite different than the bike in the blueprint! Looks like the general idea though.

4 Likes

That’s a really nice effect. I wonder how it would look with some actual dark blue paper behind the engraving? You could get kind of an old fashioned distressed look that way, if you found the right paper… Or weathered it yourself.

8 Likes

You really got some great detail in it. Good job!

7 Likes

Anytime I see this all I can think about is South Park xD

2 Likes

That turned out amazing!

That’s pretty. They make multilayer standoffs if you want it away from the wall…

3 Likes

Perfection!

1 Like

That’s an impressive size. I’ll bet the viewer can see lots of detail up close.

1 Like

That looks like a much better idea than putting a motor like that on a unicycle.
:grimacing:

Hehehe, I can’t help but notice the skid plate on his forearm.

1 Like

I am Imagining it as a dragster
:face_with_spiral_eyes:
It is not fair to have him up to speed before you start counting.

They’re not the safest machines to ride. Not legal to use on the street. Like any cycle, they rely on gyroscopic stabilization to stay upright. When you need to stop in an emergency, the wheel stops turning and the stabilization is lost. Every emergency braking event results in a wipe out.

Though I think I remember seeing one that deployed little outrigger wheels to keep the main wheel upright when it wasn’t spinning.

3 Likes

A powered hamster wheel?

2 Likes

I like this one. I wonder how it’d look side-lit? Have you tried turning out the lights and shining a flashlight at the edge?

2 Likes

I have no doubt that this could be lit. I have several projects that are lit so I know this would work.

I would never ride that thing. It doesn’t have mirrors! That’s dangerous!
… Just kidding. My buddy and I used to drift these. It’s how I met my wife. She’s a nurse!

2 Likes