Laser Printer Color Transfer

I thought this might be helpful to some people. This morning I decided to try a new technique on some cut scraps of Proof Grade acrylic and Proof Grade med. maple plywood. I am very happy with the results and believe this will lead to many more possibilities.

I have an Okidata 610 color laser printer that I purchased from the Magic Touch about 3 years ago and an Insta Graphic swing away heat press that I purchased from Conde Systerms two years ago.

Using the TechniPrint HS (hard surfaces) transfer paper, I printed out three designs and transferred them via the heat press. The above pictures are the final results.

For the acrylic, I pressed for 30 seconds at 321° F, and then I rotated the acrylic 180 degrees and pressed for another 10 seconds. I used medium pressure. I let it cool for about a minute and removed the transfer paper.

For the wooden pumpkin, I pressed for 120 seconds at 325°F, waited about one minute and then removed the paper. I used medium pressure.

I probably need to refine the time and temp a little bit more, but nonetheless, I am very happy with the results.

I hope someone finds this helpful–Heidi

77 Likes

Wowie! :grinning:

1 Like

Wow–the color is so vivid. Thanks for sharing the settings!

1 Like

So just to be clear–this is for toner-based color laser printers, not inkjet, right?

1 Like

Yes, I used a toner-based laser printer. I have an Okidata 610n.

1 Like

Definitely of interest! Thanks for doing this testing. I have a color laser printer and several flavors of Lazertran–I wonder if it would work with one of them. Hmmmmm…

1 Like

Wow, now that is something different! Very vibrant!

love the acrylic ones!
so many great ideas!

I never cease to be amazed by the ingenuity shown on this forum! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

This is similar to the technique used by some to prototype PCBs. You print on a glossy magazine or the release back from an adhesive label using a laser printer, then you can transfer that to the surface of your copper clad PCB material. I usually use a clothes iron. The toner acts as a resist to the acid used to etch the copper.

1 Like

Very neat. Thanks for sharing!
With the acrylic, are you making the world’s most trippiest pair of glasses?! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hmmmph…

Gonna have to step my Creative/Engineering game up a LOT with this crew. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought that the shapes resembled flat lenses myself.

3 Likes

Neat product. Looks like once you factor in shipping it costs about $1 per letter-sized sheet, min purchase 50.

https://www.coastalbusiness.com/techniprint-hs-self-weeding-laser-heat-transfer-paper-for-hard-surfaces-tphs-g.html

4 Likes

I’m intrigued but I did note a preference for Oki printers on the notes at coastal. They mentioned Brother and HP as having spotty results.

I wonder if I can use the Cricut Easy Press for this? It heats up to 350 degree.

If you are able to adjust the temp and the pressure, it might work.