Laser says, "NOPE"

1/4" black palm is apparently not laserable. Laser says, “What the bleep is this? I’ma sett it on fire and STILL not make it through.”

Should clarify that this is more “this was a learning experience” than looking for suggestions.

That last super burn is a double pass at max power 100 speed. Upper right is a 3 pass at 130 that still didn’t make it through. You could, conceivably do even more than 3 passes but I think I’ll just… not use this wood for this purpose.

11 Likes

If you’re looking for suggestions, it might be handy to share the settings you’ve tried.

Multiple passes at lower power are often the best approach to stubborn materials.

Unfortunately, I’m pretty sure this is just out of the range of what can be done.

That last super burn is a double pass at max power 100 speed. Upper right is a 3 pass at 130 that still didn’t make it through.

1 Like

Black palm is a total bastard to cut. Even in 1/8 it’s a straight up nightmare.

6 Likes

Beautiful piece of wood, though!

2 Likes

if you need to cut it that thick, I would suggest to make your multiple passes at different depths. so 1st pass at full thickness, and then the subsequent at the new depth created by the first pass. this is the only way that I’ve been able to make cuts through dense material. you’ll just have to make your file duplicate images of different color lines to let the forge differentiate each of the passes so you can change the focus for each of them. its a PITA, but if its gotta be cut…

That’s a neat idea and didn’t occur to me! Thanks! Probably won’t work for the fine detail needed on this piece… but for other things…

1 Like

UGH!
I am glad I found this thread before I set myself on fire.

Definitely a lesson in being careful when testing and actually pay attention