Laser Stopped firing - Has anyone come up with a fix?

This just happened to me… for the 2nd time. This happened to be last November as well. Had to send the machine back and spend $500 to get a refurbished one sent.

I’ve now had 3 machines in 3 years. I’m done with it. The machines operating costs are higher than the profits now.

If you’re only making amortization + $500 a year in profit I think you might struggle with any laser cutter (and struggle to eat, if that’s your primary income). Maintenance is a fact of life with complex machines like this.

Sounds like your business model is just unsustainable at this rate. Maybe time to pivot into higher-margin jobs?

1 Like

It’s not my primary income. I only run in it a couple of times/month usually. Which is why maintenance costs shouldn’t be so high.

Same issue i’m faced with as well. Out of warranty as mine is 2 1/2 years old :frowning:

I have had same exact problem with my first machine within 10 months. They sent a refurbished unit. Same exact issue on refurb. Glowforge response. - I am 6 days past 90 day warranty so their response - my only option is to spend another $ 1125 for yet another refurb with yet another 90 day warranty. They informed me that they no longer offer repairs. If I knew that was how they handled customer support I never would have purchased from them. Amazing so many people have the exact same problem, yet they still send out these refurbs. Absolutely no phone support, and they informed me that it is incredibly rare ….this exact issue.

Sadly my Pro was unpacked for just a day when it started this non firing day before yesterday, and honestly I see no solution from the company for this problem. A real manual should be available to the buyers and I keep thinking I missed it because there is not a thing I can find that really tells you how to operate it. Best advice on turning on the machine and the smoke starts immediately, have followed all the bells and whistles suggested in all the help posts btu still no laser cutting for the complete file. Thank you for any help you can offer.

You are directed to the tutorials on how to operate it as soon as you complete setup. They are in the support section, link is at the top of every page.

If you are getting smoke before you start printing, then it’s likely the power supply has failed, which would also explain why the laser is not firing. You should contact support using the contact form on the support page.

3 Likes

Just ran into the same issue. I don’t have a spotlight though. I don’t really want to spend $1200 to just get a refurbished machine. Glowforge hasn’t really updated any of thier hardware. There are newer machines that are cheaper and more powerful than the glowforge. Also, CNC machines have come a long way after I bought the glowforge. I’m going to see if I can convert it into something else.

If it was like $500 bucks every two years and I can take care of it at home, then I would stay on board. But not $1200 and then also having to send it out

2 Likes