Laser strength dying

I have been using non proof grade 1/8" mdf for the past few months and it has always cut like butter under the “medium draft board” PG settings. Was cutting yesterday, no issues. Now all day today I can’t get a single thing to cut through, out of pieces that had been previously cut fine. I’ve done a deep clean on everything including the air assist fan. Still the issue persists. Ive even adjusted settings to slow down cut speed, and still nothing works. Am I missing something? Could something else have a caused a switch to flip over night that I can no longer cut through the same material I was perfectly cutting yesterday?

I know I am going to be asked to print the gift of good measure, but I do not have any proof grade material since it has been perpetually out of stock…any recommendations are appreciated!

Have you checked that “Material Thickness” in the select material section and “Focus Height” in the settings are the same value? If you’re using PG settings, though, that probably isn’t the issue. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Does your deep clean include the mirror, the lens, and all 5 lenses?

1 Like

It does. Every possible aspect of the machine, including all the optic pieces. So that’s why I’m confused how last night it was cutting the same material perfectly, and today it’s like I have a completely different machine.

Were you sure to orient the lens correctly after cleaning? “Cup goes Up”

Since you have run out of draftboard, it’s hard to test - but running GoGM on a draftboard that has cut successfully before would still be helpful to a staff member reviewing your logs. Post pictures of the front and the back.

Draftboard (Unfinished) | Glowforge FYI, the stock issues have been mostly dealt with.

Yes. I’ve had my machine for well over a year, so I am pretty familiar with putting the lens back in. It was a matter of the laser cutting perfectly last night. Turning the machine off. Turning it back on this morning to cut out of the same material as yesterday, and now it not being able to cut remotely close to how it was cutting yesterday. Nothing was moved around or taken apart between it working yesterday and not working this morning unfortunately.

1 Like

I will have to see if I have a scrap piece laying around that will fit it! And good to know. I honestly gave up on checking after months of things being out of stock

@kns70702 I’m so sorry to hear that your prints are not cutting through.

Could you please post a photo of the front and back of the print? Please also let us know the date and time of the print (including time zone) in your reply.

There are several things that need to be checked if the laser doesn’t cleanly cut through the material. We’ve discovered that photos don’t always come through well in emails, so I’ve included several links that will take you to reference instructions and photos. Please turn off your Glowforge and check the following:

Once all these things have been checked, please perform the following test print just like @deirdrebeth suggested.

• Print the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade material, using Proofgrade settings.

• When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates.

Check the completed print:

• If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut through, take a photo of the front and back of the print and attach these photos to your reply.
  • If the Gift of Good Measure cuts successfully, please try another print of the design you experienced the issue with, and let us know the results.

Hi @kns70702. It’s been a couple days since David’s response, and we wanted to check in to see if you were still encountering any trouble with prints not cutting through material. Feel free to send any of the requested photos and Gift of Good Measure print result. We can review them to help decide any next best steps with troubleshooting. Thanks!

Issue still persists on both my Pro and my Plus.

Printed the gift of good measure and it did not come close to cutting through. The laser strength of my Plus is weakened, my Plus can only cut the left 1/4th of the bed, anything outside of that the laser strength completely dies out.

All the standard cleaning recommendations have been completed time and time again. Nothing improves the machine’s inability to properly cut.

Hello @kns70702 - thanks for sharing those photos.

If the laser is only cutting through on one portion of the printer bed that’s definitely a problem we want to remedy for you. I’ve sent along an email with some follow up steps so that we can get you back up and running. Please keep an eye out and let me know if you have any questions!