Laser will not cut through proofgrade Med WALNUT

![glow%20forge%20back%20|375x500](upload://uoY2j11nrFOIfmM6UKHgDLXbJhA.jpeg)

Hi,

Recently I have been cut logo on proofgrade med walnut. Today when going to run a batch the logo engraves perfectly, cuts both holes at each end but fails to cut the logo out.

I have cleaned all lenses and me mirrors as per glowforge directions and still no luck.

The image was done on the trace feature and all area to be cut out were marked correctly . As mention I have made over 50 of these previously with no

issue, so baffled what this is happening now

Please help!

Thanks in advance

Is the :glowforge: reading the barcode, or are you having to select?
Can you post a picture of the back where it didn’t cut?
A number of folks have talked about slowing down their cut speed a touch to solve this - worth a try?

Also, Support is going to ask you to print a Gift of Good Measure from the catalog - because they know the specs on that design - so you can get ahead of the curve by doing so

it is reading the bar code, I don’t have pic of the back, but its marked slightly. I had some credits so I printed something from catalog … cut perfect I did slow the cutting speed down to 490… no better

Gift of Good Measure is free in everybody’s catalog. That’s the ruler that comes in either MM or IN - it’s got every type of function (cut/score/engrave) in both straight lines and curves. That’s why Support uses it as a test piece.

1 Like

Back of board after lasered

Was the board pinned down? It’s possible there was some warping. If not, use some magnets or the hold down pins in the Free files.

1 Like

done that ! thanks though

1 Like

ill do that one as well, thanks

I looked and did a search in the catalog for " gift of good measure" I don’t have that in my catalog

Are you sure the settings are set for PG med walnut, because 490 speed is nearly full speed. I can’t check the actual settings right now but I’m pretty sure they should be around 170 speed and full power.

1 Like

Thank you for letting us know about this. I have just re-added the Gift of Good Measure design to your account so you should see it now. We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Please print the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade Draftboard and let us know the result. If it doesn’t print well, please let us know the date and time of your print and post photos of the front and back of the print.

Medium walnut plywood cut specs are 168/full. Medium walnut hardwood specs are 210/full. Perhaps you should double check your speed and power settings as you mentioned slowing down to 490 which is much faster than the proofgrade default settings.

not trying to be a dick, but! if your using proofgrade material shouldn’t the gf be reading the barcode and do all the settings? if that is the case I shouldn’t have touch a thing but push the “magic button” if that’s not the case what is the point of buying the overpriced proofgrade material ?

2 Likes

It should read the code and should automatically populate the settings. All I’m saying is that if you used a speed of 490 because that was 10 slower than the auto settings, something is amiss as that sounds like the default settings of 500/1 not the settings for PG Med walnut. Did you try just selecting the proper proof grade material instead and trying? I rarely have cuts on PG not work as long as the lens and windows are clean and the material is flat.

mysteriously it started cutting correctly, maybe all it needs sometimes is a good cussing at. we will see what tomorrow brings

1 Like

Yay!

FYI - if it auto-selects settings, but then you go in to look at them - it will default down to the lowest ones…which might be what happened somehow!

If you want to mess with settings, click the “manual” button - not the arrow to the right of the proofgrade one

1 Like

Yes, the setting are such that they just cut through the material without causing flashback; it’s just enough juice to get through the material. However the GF can’t possibly account for the dozens of little things on your end that can make a difference in the cut. Variables such as your material being slightly warped, the feet of the tray not being set in the dimples correctly or a tiny piece of waste material on the bed or debris/dirt on your lenses. A deviant of .03 may may be the difference between a cut making it through cleanly or not. So if you are meticulous about your set up, use hold-downs to insure your material is perfectly flat and keep your machine clean, the settings work perfectly. I’m not meticulous and hate cleaning the machine so I usually add 5 to the power until I’m forced to clean it…

3 Likes

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!