Lasering Sand?

The good news is we can solve it for $10 at amazon…

3 Likes

Thanks for the correction.

The Glowforge does communicate directly with the filter.

3 Likes

Unfortunately we can’t support non-Proofgrade materials, so I can’t say.

1 Like

Yes.

7 Likes

It’s not uncommon in our experience for people to want to plug the Glowforge and the air filter into separate circuits. They can both be on the same circuit, but there shouldn’t be much else on that circuit.

3 Likes

Wondering aloud whether this is in-house testing or the super secret beta-filter testers. Given the size of the Purex filter at BAMF, when the Glowforge filter debuts and works perfectly, this is going to be a game changer. Hope it all works out as planned!

2 Likes

Ya know, with all the discussion today about the one connection Glowforge verbage I’m really happy to see a little engineering common sense.

1 Like

One of the big positives of having separate power cords for the Forge and the filter is that it will be easier to use a battery backup, if desired. It would take an enormous and expensive UPS to protect both through one power cord.

3 Likes

I expect the forge would error if you switched off the filer while it was running.

Perhaps, but it will be less expensive to use two UPSes with two power cords than one with a combined cord.

1 Like

OK, but they could ship a splitter cord (like I showed above) and you could always switch. Of course we can do the reverse (which I will - since my use case for the filter is makerfaires and class room, rather than at home, where I don’t care)

1 Like

I was talking about if they had powered the filter through the Forge using only one power cable, you would need a large, expensive UPS. It was a reflection on the positive side of having two cords.

All of this together might end up giving me 3-4 UPS…:glowforge:, filter, and at least 1 PC/Cable Modem.

Did you ever get a response on this? I can’t decided if they should be listing these materials on their site if they aren’t going to give support for processing them. I love the proof grade, it makes life easy, but it’s frustrating that seem to want us to use only proof grade.

Stone and glass do not burn. No need to vent them. No smell. No smoke. (Does throw a light that’s too bright to look at…be careful.)

2 Likes

The glare is quite amazing…

1 Like

Not at all. We just can’t advise you on how to use other companies’ products safely, and our experience is that other companies’ materials create lots of problems. If you’re OK with handling those problems, we’re happy to have you do it - we just can’t offer support for it.

@scott.wiederhold has suggested there may be an infra-red link between the GF and Filter for communications, so saving a physical cable connection. :grinning:

Any word on exhaust controls?