Late breaking news: Dan speaking tonight in SF

My good friend Brady cofounded the Ignite series a decade ago in Seattle with a public school teacher named Bre Pettis (yes, that Bre Pettis). I was there at the very first one and gave a talk about startups. So when Brady asked me to jump in this evening with a talk for Ignite SF, I had to agree. If you happen to be around, you can see me speak for five minutes on a topic totally unrelated to lasers: “It’s a very old game that you probably never played”. Be sure to come up after and say hello!

9 Likes

I remember digging up your startup talk last fall when I was trying to figure out if you were for real. It helped convince me. Here’s a useful link to another one of your talks. I think I should do my homilies like this. My parishioners would like it if I went a little faster.

9 Likes

This adds some background to his desire to create that drone with the rubber band gattling guns too!

1 Like

HAH… too funny. :smiley:

Heh. I’d be afraid to see Dan on 5 cups of coffee…

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up Dan! As a non-Californian resident can you let us know when they post the talk? :slight_smile: I would love to see it!

Edit: I had the wrong location.

I think Dan really needed one more coffee before he did that presentation. :grinning:

2 Likes

Just to be clear, this one is in San Francisco. It seems to be that they are all recorded and uploaded.

1 Like

Correct, SF. Confusing matters, there’s an ignite in Seattle tonight too.

1 Like

By the way: good luck. I’m sure you will knock them off their socks!

And can we play, “Guess the game?” I say, kick the can

Kick the Can was a game that I loved as a kid. Hide and Seek that could go on forever if someone managed to sneak in and kick the can without being caught.

1 Like

Thank you! It was a very fun time.

I will give you a hint: the name came from a conversation with Glowforge investor Jordan Weisman who was describing a new game he was building called Necropolis. He said “It’s based on a very old game, that you probably haven’t played”.

1 Like

Here’s Weismann talking about necropolis to shacknews. Might contain a hint

A completely unrelated takeaway from this is that he mentioned BattleTech was coming back! I remember us planning a train trip when I was 14 around the country and I adamantly argued for Chicago to be a stop so that I could go by the Battletech center there. I had read about it in magazines and it looked amazing.

5 Likes