Latest Earring Offerings

I was kind of in a rut for the last few weeks, probably due to the stress of the holidays and having my machines be working and not working. I decided the only way out of the rut would be to look over some of my old drawings and finally make them a reality, and while doing so, come up with some new stuff. The first earrings I designed were easy enough, I had realized I didn’t have any round earrings, so I went with an easy design.

After those, I had inspiration to jazz them up a little bit, and since I love throwing frosted acrylic and walnut together, I came up with these fairly quickly.

I’ve got the kerf down pretty perfectly between the two, so it wasn’t too difficult to put them together. Finally, these last pair were something I’ve been meaning to make for at least a year, probably more, but I just never got around to them.

Anyway, I feel a lot better now than I did a couple of weeks ago. It’s tough getting into a creative rut, but I also think I just needed a break from this machine. I guess it stopped feeling like a fun hobby, and more like a tedious chore and burden. Probably has a little to do with my winter blues, too, either way, I’m feeling good about these so I thought I’d share what I’d been up to :+1:t4:

33 Likes

They look brilliant, super clean!
I’m just thinking that they might look even better if they were on a slightly brighter background. I would hate to think that your beautiful pieces as lost in the darker colour background.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input, I’ve been meaning to change up my backgrounds, but as I started with this one for all of my designs, I kind of just stuck with it :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll have to look into some other ones and see what I like!

1 Like

Given your location, a dried palm frond might offer a nice contrast.

I like what you’re thinking. I had done some stuff like this. We have these huge Norfolk pine trees and these came from those.

5 Likes

Very Nice! what material did you use?

1 Like

Me thinks you effectually got yourself out of that rut! I especially like the roses one.

3 Likes

For the post earrings I used Proofgrade medium walnut ply, the earrings I put in the comments are from medium maple plywood

They are all really nice, but I love the walnut and frosted acrylic. Gorgeous!

1 Like

Love them all! Especially since I’m headed to Kauai in a couple days. Ready to escape Alaska for a bit.

1 Like

I’m glad you’re feeling better. Looks like you’re on a roll now!

1 Like

I love Kauai! It’s got a really relaxed vibe to it everywhere you go. Told my wife we should retire there someday :grin: If you don’t have it on your list, make sure to check out Queens Bath. It’s a pretty easy hike down to a natural pool by the ocean, we got to see probably 30 or more turtles over there, actually had a friend almost dive into one. Also has a nice waterfall on the way. Here’s my favorite pic we got while there, taken from Salt Pond, where we camped.

7 Likes

Nice work!

I loved teaching myself precious metalwork, I enjoyed the creativity of producing an idea in gold and silver.
Got scuba certified in '84 and found instant inspiration underwater, and started a mail-order business for marine themed jewelry, “The Reef Gallery”.

After a few years it became a chore to produce another 50 whale tail or dolphin pendants. It lost the inspiration and became a tedious job. From :crazy_face: to :unamused:

That’s the result of taking a hobby i enjoyed and turning it into a job.
Take that break man.

3 Likes

It’s interesting how our minds can control the way we live our lives. I had a teacher once say that our lives are a story we tell ourselves, whether it’s fact or fiction is entirely up to how we perceive what’s happening. I think it’s good to process through what we’re feeling, whether it’s good or bad, it’s good to recognize why we’re feeling the way that we do.

2 Likes

Gorgeous pic!! We ran out of time to go to Queen’s Bath last time but are def going this time. We are staying in Princeville rather than Kapaa so we will be close to there already.

1 Like