Latest: Price has increased, Shipping, Maker Faire recap

Thanks so much for the kind words from so many of you. We’re all working long days and nights to make this happen, and it means a lot to everyone that we have all of you to work for.

25 Likes

@dan, while the multiple delays have been very disheartening and made me (like others) question the end product, it’s understandable why the delays happened. Thank you and the team for all the hard work.

1 Like

@dan, thanks for the update. Can you clarify what happens between December and March? Sadly, I made my order on Oct 25, 2015 @ 12:05AM, which is after the end of crowdfunding.

Every time I read this sentence from you: “Our schedule is still unchanged: ship 30-day crowdfunding units in December and units ordered subsequently in March”, I imagine a big push to ship the pre-orders in December, then you guys taking off to Tahiti for January and February, then coming back to ship more in March.

Please tell me I’m wrong! Will you be shipping continuously after December? And, hopefully, in the order… ordered?

3 Likes

@walendo, AMEN! I am hoping I am included by March 31st. :pray::pray::pray:

3 Likes

I would speculate that once the ball is rolling, the company would not allow that momentum to diminish. Everyone has busted their arse to achieve shipping, and I think Dan would be remiss not to provide the team an appropriate celebration of that threshold - but like liberty in the Navy… “Be back onboard by the break of dawn.”

I think the initial “deadline” is the hard one to make, if they can do that - the next one should be much easier.
Unless a quality issue surfaces during initial shipping, I would be confident of receiving the order as expected.

4 Likes

Don’t forget: if you’re venting outside, and are in freeze-prone climates, don’t leave the vent hose connected to the outside after you’re done cutting. This might seem obvious, but if you’d planned for a filter, it might not have occurred to you yet.
(Experience shared here: Vent Specifics)

12 Likes

The voice of experience. Thank you for sharing that lesson!

3 Likes

Thanks for that. As someone who was planning for the filter and hadn’t actually even considered the returning cold air issue, you might have just saved me and my 'forge from a very sad winter.

5 Likes

And, of course, the coolant in the tube will affect this–I can’t remember what the latest word is on what that’ll be, but I doubt the GF team are using pure water. Even if there is an antifreeze component, I’d still recommend a gate, if only for your own comfort/heating-cooling cost minimization.

Edited to cite @dan on this:
Not water: Water Cooling
Blast gate still recommended: Winter issues

4 Likes

You can probably make one yourself once you have your Glowforge!

1 Like

Is it just me, or does @dan have a particular talent for making innocuous things sound really ominous?
I mean sure, it’s probably just some other cooling fluid, but it soundly suspiciously like he might be having the GF engineers cool our lasers with tenuously contained Lovecraftian horrors.

20 Likes

I once had a hewlett-packard printer that was possessed with electronic gremlins.

• H.P. Lovecraftian horrors. -
6 Likes

I’m guessing something like a coolant and water wetter or purple ice combination.

3 Likes

He’s the Father of two energetic kids, I’m sure he has experience in making things sound ominous to prevent really bad ideas turning into really bad mistakes.

10 Likes

There once was an engineer type that converted a VW Cabriolet to electric drive. To cool the motor controller he used propane as a phase change coolant. It would go into the controller as liquid and come out as gas. Then it would turn to liquid again in the heat exchanger. Not what I would do. Let’s hope @dan and company are not considering this fluid for cooling! - Rich

6 Likes

I think air conditioners switched to butane when CFCs were banned.

1 Like

Too many years ago…you are correct, he used butane to cool his controller. The butane turned to gas (phase change) and cooled the heat sink of the controller. The problem…if any of the gas escapes and contactors clack*clack SPARK! BOOM. Not good. To his credit, he did use sealed contactors and it was ventilated with forced air to disperse any gas. - Rich

3 Likes

All of this nervous chatter will abruptly dry up when real Glowforges are occupying our attention

9 Likes

Kitchen-size butane refrigerators reportedly use about one small lighter-refill canister worth of liquid/gas. Enough to make a big whoosh. But before CFCs and HFCs the “safe” refrigerant was anhydrous ammonia. I can’t wait till they work the kinks out of the acoustic ones.

2 Likes

Anhydrous ammonia? Really?! - Rich