Lawsuit against the Nominal

I don’t think he was considering the baby seal oil :slight_smile:

I believ it was overturned on appeal. It’s like the McDonalds coffee award that got cut but only the original absurd award got the publicity.

Unfortunately 1/3 of people here are uninformed about any topic you might raise. “What do you mean a cup of coffee isn’t always 8 ounces?”

4 Likes

i don’t think it was. what i find ridiculous about it isn’t that lowe’s was forced to change signage for consumer protection, it’s that they were fined $1.5 million in civil penalties alone to repay the cost of the investigation. it’s completely absurd.

in re coffee: everyone talks about the mcdonald’s coffee suit as being ridiculous, but it really isn’t. the coffee was hot enough to cause third-degree burns over 6% of her body, and she needed multiple skin grafts. i think that deserves a warning. she also only ever wanted $20k to help cover medical costs.

7 Likes

5 Likes

That sign is everywhere and on more things than just wood. I wonder how California can get away with allowing all of those dangerous products to be sold and exposing people who can’t read English to carcinogens and they can’t even know to protect themselves. It’s irresponsible, criminal even, for the state to be complicit in causing the cancer illness and deaths of so many of its citizens!

Someone should sue (and sue over the laws that prevent people from suing the state).

1 Like

I just happy California is watching over us dullards in Nevada.

3 Likes

i don’t think that that’s too bad, either. a lot of people don’t think about the need for respiratory masks and safety when woodcutting, for example. it’s not the same as suing for damages.

3 Likes

I had a baker end up in the hospital with “baker’s lung” from breathing flour dust (he was in his 20’s, so not a lifetime). He improved with a few weeks of steroids and a mask from then on. Many of these things aren’t a joke, but it is easy to make fun of them without context.

And of course if that is pressure treated wood, that’s a whole other level of nasty to breath the dust…

11 Likes

ooh, that’s rough. it’s like how grain dust can explode in silos.

4 Likes

Beat me to it!

3 Likes

7 percent of adults believe chocolate comes from brown cows and 48 percent don’t know where chocolate milk comes from !?!?!?! :dizzy_face:

http://www.foodandwine.com/news/survey-finds-too-many-people-still-think-chocolate-milk-comes-brown-cows

6 Likes

Please don’t tell the state of California, but…

An “Egg Cream (Creme)” contains neither. Likewise Grape-Nuts­™. Or Sweetbreads.

Catgut is made from sheep.

White chocolate isn’t chocolate.

Rocky Mountain Oysters aren’t seafood!

Chinese checkers are neither.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

A pic I took a long ago. Might have touched it up a bit, can’t remember.

16 Likes

Flour dust and corn starch included. Both of which have been used to produce the colored powders sprayed into the air at “Color Runs” and music festivals, that have also resulted in flash fires.

3 Likes

indeed.

And then there’re nails. Measured in Pennies.
2d (d abbreviation for penny…again, what?) = 1 inch
3d - 10d add 1/4 inch per penny…So the first two are 1/2" each, the next 8 are 1/4"…
10d = 3"
12d = 3 1/4"… so now pennies are 1/8"?
16d = 3 1/2"… so 1/16?
20d = 4" … back to 1/8

Then 10d per 1/2" up to 6"…

(May have something to do with the cost of nails in the 15th century)

4 Likes

bicycle tires are confusing too.
a 26"x 1.75" tire does not fit onto a 26" x 1 3/4" rim.

2 Likes

Clearly, everything should be re-named every year or two… to avoid confusion.

8 Likes

Inches, feet and yards are intentional retribution for fortnights, farthings and leagues.

12 Likes

That system for nails is crazy and I won’t have any truck with it!

2 Likes
16 Likes