Lawsuit against the Nominal

holdover from british rule. before we switched to decimal currencies, a penny was one-two hundred fortieth of a british pound sterling. the ‘d’ symbol comes from the old roman coin, a denarius (an old silver coin, worth about one-twenty fifth of a roman gold coin (or ten asses) and the equivalent of about $4 us in today’s currency, but that changes throughout time as the currency was manipulated).

fun fact i just learned: the average british penny is worth between three and four hundred times less than it was in the middle ages; most of that inflation has happened in the last hundred years.

3 Likes

Scumbag lawyers are just looking for a payday. I know where they can stick a 4x4 - or even a 6x6…

This lawsuit is probably brought to you by the same people that necessitate frozen pizza packaging being marked with verbiage warning you to cook the pizza before consuming.

I really hate people - and lawyers.

you mean a 3 3/8" x 3 3/8"? :grin:

11 Likes

No - I want it to be an ACTUAL 4x4 so they aren’t getting by “easy”!

5 Likes

Well you can’t buy one, since the signs are misleading!!! :joy:

1 Like

Mill down a 5 3/8x5 3/8! :smile:

2 Likes

No, just buy Pressure Treated post, those are actually 4" x 4". Does PT still contain formaldehyde or did they regulate that out of the process too?

3 Likes

Or, you know, skip the big-box store and buy “actual dimensional” lumber from a real lumber mill.

PT wood is safer than it used to be, but it is still full of pesticides, and I still avoid it if possible. Don’t burn it in your campfire, avoid using it as mulch in your garden.

Great little Lumber Primer here, for those that have never had this stuff taught to them.

6 Likes

“actual dimensional” lumber is nice if you’re building something from scratch and can afford to pay the often higher prices. dimensional lumber is fine for matching with pre-existing forms and structures, though.

i mean, sometimes you get a deal locally, but ime you more often pay higher prices (admittedly, you get correspondingly higher quality products).

2 Likes

Back in high school and college while working for a carpenter, often the first trip of the day was to the real lumber store, back before the big chains came. I swear, the boards he wanted were always in the bottom of the pile. I stand there picking up every 2x4 and showing it to him and he either accepted or reject.

4 Likes

haha! yeah, i can be pretty bad about that sometimes, too.

1 Like

It’s like a straw man argument extravaganza in here!

3 Likes

unreal.

1 Like

I wouldn’t have a problem with their argument if they weren’t asking for so much money. I think it’s reasonable that not everyone knows lumber dimensions are nominal, especially considering that home depot is geared more towards nonprofessionals than professionals. Fine. Change the labels to read something like 4×4 - 3.5"×3.5."x10’ . It’s clearer so everyone can understand. Sweet.

What absolutely doesn’t make sense is why there’s a class action lawsuit about it. I read a couple of articles. No one got hurt by it, nothing fell down. Literally all that happened was some people bought some lumber for their projects, got home, realized it was smaller than they expected, and felt cheated. That’s it. How can they justify how much they’re asking for?

2 Likes

I’m really surprised no one brought Subway into this yet. so here’s my chance. :stuck_out_tongue:

Subway was also sued a couple years ago for their footlong sandwiches were -gasp- not a full foot long.

4 Likes

agree entirely.

in re subway, i think that’s more obviously nearly fraudulent; i mean it’s not like there are huge sandwich industries standardized around an 11-inch sandwich. but still ridiculous.

3 Likes

Well I’m going to sue for 10 million because my 1/4 pounder isn’t 1/4 lbs

3 Likes

Doesn’t refer to the actual weight of the sandwich. It’s how much weight you gain each time you look at one.

11 Likes

at least it was before it was cooked; i’d consider it a real trick if subway somehow shrank sandwiches in the midst of plopping turkey ham on their 11-inch buns :smiley:

2 Likes

Especially considering bread expands when it bakes :smiling_face:

1 Like