Layer misalignment

I moved my machine (Pro) and then ran the alignment process to optimize it again after the move. However, it now inconsistently will print some layers off just a bit, and it is more pronounced the closer the print gets to the left side of the bed. I confirmed that one of the issues is related to a file because I experienced the same misalignment on my other machine (on an aside: if anyone can add some insight into why that might happen to a file despite it showing correctly in the GUI, that would be sweet). However, this morning on a file that works fine on the other machine, I had the same thing happen again.

I found elsewhere in the forum that this could be the result of the head colliding with the side, however the edges of the print is ~5 inches away from either side, so that shouldn’t be a problem. I have confirmed that there are no obstructions or debris and that things slide smoothly. I have tried focusing on the material after loading the file. I have also cleaned all of the optics and cameras. My next idea was to rerun the whole set up process on it. Any other suggestions?

Make sure it’s completely level. I moved mine recently and had to put shims under it to account for its new location not be level.

1 Like

I didn’t think to check that. Where did you level it from? The bottom of the bed, I assume? Thanks for the suggestion.

Reasonably level is good, but perfectly flat is critical. Shim to ensure the door is equal on both sides.

2 Likes

I put my level on the lid both directions. I had to shim more on the back and some on the right side.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll try that when I get home this evening and see if it makes a difference.

Thank you @flossqueencathe and @rpegg, it is important to make sure your Glowforge is is on a flat level surface. Would you please let me know if this resolved the alignment issues you were having @benjamin.george?

I leveled things this morning (it was off just a hair) and at the moment that seems to have addressed the issue. I have not yet tried to re-upload the original file that was causing problems, but none of my other cuts are misaligning. Fingers crossed. I am going to try cutting that other piece tomorrow morning.

It’s been a little while since the last post on this thread, so I just wanted to check in. Have you had a chance to try the original file that was giving you issues?

Please let us know if you’re still having trouble and we’ll be happy to help!

Hi Gary,

I did get it fixed. However, I found that the one pattern was still causing misalignment to gradually creep in. I fixed it by slowing the speed down. I think the repetitive circular motions were just causing it to gradually slip.

I’m so glad to hear that leveling your Glowforge has improved the alignment.

If you’d like to troubleshoot the alignment behavior on the specific design you run into trouble with, would you mind sharing the file with us to test? If you’re not comfortable sharing it here, you can send it to us at support@glowforge.com.

It’s been a little while since I’ve heard back from you. I hope that’s because everything worked out! If not, just let me know and we’ll get it solved.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.