Layered "Pumpkins for Sale" Sign

We used kitchen knives when I was a kid, and we didn’t venture far from the traditional jack-o’lantern faces. Having the right tools makes all the difference. Even using the little saws and patterns in the kits sold in grocery stores can be a game changer.

I have seen some photos and videos of pumpkins engraved in the Glowforge, and I think it is very interesting, but I think I’ll stick to doing it by hand. I have tried using power tools (i.e. a Dremel), but I just don’t find it very satisfying. I prefer using my own hands. I have used my Glowforge to support my pumpkin carving in other ways. I’ll try to post about it before Halloween.

A kindred spirit! There is something about ephemeral art…

Wow! I’m glad I don’t have to worry about anyone eating my pumpkins! I guess snails crawl in occasionally. But they don’t eat much.

Okay. Twist my arm. Here are a few from last year.

Kobe Bryant (I often memorialize folks.)

2020 Halloween over Zoom call.

Zach Wilson, BYU quarterback, now with the Jets.

Celebrating 100 years of Votes for Women!

22 Likes

The Zoom one was wicked cool! :smiley:

3 Likes

Loved your story and your carvings are very artistic and intricate. Thanks for the share!

1 Like

These are fabulous. Thanks for sharing them!

OMGoodness these are true pieces of art! You should really find a way to preserve them!

Wow, your pumpkins are incredible! Thanks for showing us.

The shadows behind the pumpkins are a nice touch, really makes them pop. I notice how the shadow changes on the nearby leaves vs the distant background.

How very sweet and kind! Thank you.

Your story is lovely, and the sign fabulous! Please compliment your daughter on her painting :slight_smile: I’m not selling any pumpkins, but I think this will make a great yard decoration with the sign saying something else :smiley:

1 Like

and once you’ve saved it to your computer - go to app.glowforge.com and click the Create button, and then Upload from file, select the file you downloaded, and wait for it to load :slight_smile:

That pig looks sweet and cuddly compared to a javelina. They are more like a peccary.

Those are great! Very creative, thank you for showing that art, too bad they decompose!

That is really amazing work. I thought it was made from wood until I read the story. Great job!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. The paint job really brought life to the sign! Great job for both of you!

1 Like

Wow, thank you so much for sharing!! Raining outside, not feeling real great and saw this, lifted my spirits and looking forward to fall. Will try this out and again thank you!

Love the pumpkins and my 14 yr old son loves the Kobe Bryant one. You are very talented.

1 Like

Thank you for your design. I Love the story.

1 Like

Your cardboard is immaculate! Did you use a special kind? (don’t tell me that’s an Amazon box!) What power, etc settings did you use for the laser?

Thank you! It’s just normal corrugated cardboard. I didn’t use an Amazon box for this particular project, but it’s essentially the same stuff. I use Glowforge’s standard 1/8" corrugated cardboard settings, and they work great.

2 Likes

Sorry I am so new… how do we get this file?