Leather not engraving correctly (Proofgrade)

Did someone say…

wobble

1 Like

MarkWal - I can understand the personal preferences!

But for proofgrade materials to work, they do need to work. That’s kind of the point. Apparently they don’t work (reliably) with leather and engraving. That’s just a matter of raising the standard settings for heat (power) - but that is not something I can do - that’s for Glowforge.

I know that I can fiddle with the settings myself, obviously - but then, that is not the point of proofgrade materials. :wink:

You misunderstand - generally the settings that Glowforge has set up do work reliably to burn through the masking. If you are not seeing those results, check to make sure your material is pinned flat, and that the lenses and mirror are cleaned.

You might want to run another test of that logo. (Use the draftboard if you don’t want to waste the leather.) But you need to try to duplicate the fading effect on the logo above to see if the machine is losing power, if there’s something in the file, or if perhaps you just didn’t have the leather tacked down perfectly flat.

I hope it was the latter. Much easier to deal with. :neutral_face:

Jules, thank you.
I can’t find any flaws with the machine (and it’s really new) - and the cut and the score works great. It’s just the engrave on leather that fails. And yes, the focus is sharp - note the amount of magnets, holding it down. :wink:

That is why I conclude that the power set on proofgrade engrave is too low on their leather.

1 Like

Sounds like a hypothesis rather than a theory :wink:

I’d be more concerned about the fading as it goes upwards than the actual default power settings and trying to ascertain if that’s a material/masking issue, uneven crumb tray issue, power fading issue or what. But that’s just me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.

1 Like