Leather question #1 #2 #3

I’m very late to this party (vacation will do that!) but I’ll throw out there that felt makes a pretty good stand-in for leather when you’re patterning. I pick up large pieces at yard sales and resale shops for crazy cheap - but even in fabric stores you can get yards for only a few bucks each.

5 Likes

the thing to keep in mind is that a lot of places like to say, “genuine leather” when they’re giving you bonded leather. which, technically, is a leather product. but it’s not just leather. and it’s awful in a laser cutter. just ran into this over teh weekend when a buddy asked me to engrave his re:markable case. on the web site, it says, “genuine leather.” but when i picked it up from him, it’s 100% a bonded leather case.

7 Likes

Yeah it’s why you can get a “Genuine Leather” wallet from Walmart or any department store and it will crack to high hell within a years time. I’m just waiting for my current one to get to the unusable stage so I can deconstruct it and make a pattern from it.

5 Likes

The MDF of leather : powdered leather mixed with glue.

7 Likes

My current wallet is 15 years old. I know because I switched from a single in my back pocket to bi-fold in the front on advice from a chiropractor when I got back into riding. The only issue is the middle plastic-covered pocket for a DL has split away, so I often drop my DL and carry permit when I have to show ID.

4 Likes

That sounds like it was actual leather before they started cheaping out to me

3 Likes

there are still actual leather wallets out there. i have a saddleback full grain wallet. other than some wabi from 15-20 years of carrying it, mine is still in perfect condition. i expect it to outlast me.

6 Likes

Typically if they are real leather they will be called whatever type of leather that they are: top grain, full grain, cowhide, etc

6 Likes

That is a great idea! thank you so much!

2 Likes