Leather thickness

I recently bought leather that the thickness is 2mm, the glow forge machine measures it in inches what can I do so the machine can read the thickness of the leather?

1 Like

Just use ā€œset focusā€. Doesnā€™t matter what units it uses as long as it knows where the surface is.

1 Like

You can also click on the 3 dots and switch the units from inches to centimeters. Just remember to switch it back for the next job.

You can set your preferences (inches or mm) if you wish, but as stated above, just use the set focus tool.

1 Like

You could also break out a calculator and convert it to imperial units.

1 Like

Dang European cows. Yay for Set Focus.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve tried the set focus a few times and like it. Do i understand correctly it doesnā€™t matter what you put in as a material thickness as long as you use set focus? (within reason of course-but sometimes i forget to measure and have it set just so and donā€™t want to take it out and measure it with my calipers:-)).

1 Like

Correct. If using Set Focus, you need not input a material thickness.

Google has a very lovely calculator that can translate units of measurement. You just type what you need to translate like this

Very useful!

1 Like

Yes just ignore material thickness and use ā€œset focusā€. Make sure you do this step before you place your artwork to get perfect alignment.

2 Likes

Thank you all. i had read about the set focus ā€˜beforeā€™ your artwork and appreciate that!! My daughter is wanting me to laser a gut stock for their daughterā€™s 1st birthday (they own a gun shop:-))ā€¦makes me a bit nervous, but itā€™s just text and i thought i would use this method.

Siri and i are really good friends and iā€™m always asking her to convert mm to inches for me:-)

Excellent. Just remember the gun stock has a bit of curve to it so keep a close eye on where the red laser dot hits the surface during the set focus phase. If need be, readjust where you want it to fall until it hits exactly where you need it to read the surface height. I would personally try to hit on a spot about half way between the highest and lowest of the areas you will be engraving. And, try to use only an area with as little curve to it as possible.
Good luck and post a pic when you complete it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.