LED Acrylic

My super power is buying things that look interesting but for which I may have no use. One of these things is a Nanoleaf Bloom bulb and fixture. Another is the Hue lighting system which I love, but, honestly, how often do I need my lights to be blue, or orange or pink?I also bought some white and black led acrylic and a tulip light file from @Tim_Ung . The led acrylic is, in my opinion, much more versatile than plain frosted acrylic. Now I have lots of lights I like, but don’t need.

39 Likes

Nice, that looks great

3 Likes

Clearly you need to throw more raves!

4 Likes

Wow those came out great!! Thanks for using your super power to buy my tulip light file. I’m fascinated by the fact that your frosted acrylic tulip light looks better than mine… I need to step up my maker abilities :rofl:

5 Likes

Mine is TroGlass LED white matte acrylic which they claim is specially formulated for high light transmission with strong diffusion properties. I think it gives your light a little different look when lit, and looks nice unlit as well.

4 Likes

OMG I must be almost ready for promotion to Galactic Overlord!

Must tell wife.

6 Likes

You’ve done really well with your super power!

3 Likes

It’s the things we don’t need but love, that add a lot of interest to life. So just enjoy! They are beautiful.

3 Likes

You’ve been busy … very pretty!

3 Likes

I almost never use my Hue system to change colors, but I’ve got many, many lights in my house set up to come on and go off at certain times. I LOVE being automated!

I think we might be ‘light twins’…as I am completely nuts about lighting…probably some I don’t need either, but it’s a real thing. Tim’s lights are really beautiful.

2 Likes

I have automation everywhere also. One thing I like is using a couple of the Hue bulbs as nightlights - they go down to minimum brightness overnight, one over my kitchen sink, and another in a table lamp at the base of the stairs. Those are regular brightness in the evenings…

2 Likes

I so wanted the Nanoleaf light panels, but at my age and home type it just wasn’t going to work so Hue it is. Some of mine glow orange with the alarm clock on certain mornings, but mostly they turn on and off on que. With Colorcord, Hue, Nanoleaf and Tim’s light shades, I have the parts to some fun projects.

2 Likes

Originally, I started setting up many lights with remotes. My husband has severe neuropathy in his hands (and in his feet) and could no longer turn lights on and off using the switches on the lamps/lights. When Alexa and Hue came out with all the automation stuff, it was such a delight. Our whole living room is set up with Hue lights, as well as one bedroom light, one light out on our deck, and a light back in my studio where the Glowforge lives. I also use several Amazon smart plugs for other devices. So, originally to help my husband out, it’s a fantastic thing for both of us.

And yes…this!

I had X10 back in the late 90’s…

Still have a huge box full of that stuff!

5 Likes

Wow! I’d never heard of these before. Was looking at them on Amazon and they are amazing. Consider me being enabled…I’m seriously trying to figure out if they are something that would work for me, too. They would definitely be somewhat of an impetuous buy for me. Thanks for the enlightenment. :wink:

Want some more? :smiley:

1 Like

I see what you did there.

1 Like

Early 80s for us (Radio Shack FTW!)

It amused me when they started coming out with “full home automation for the first time!” in the early 2000s and I’m like - we had that in '82.
It’s better now (SO much better), but it worked. Lights, and appliances turning off on command - and set up to go when we were on vacation to keep the house looking lived in :slight_smile:

1 Like

CLAP ON!! :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

We had a Clap On for a bit when the kids were young because they got a kick out of turning the TV on by clapping. The next door neighbor got a basketball hoop installed in his driveway, and the dribbling of the basketball would turn our TV off and on and off and on. End of the Clap ON

3 Likes