LED RGB night light - TARDIS

Could also be a difference in the type of acrylic, extruded does not engrave as well as cell cast?

If only…

1 Like

This is a really good clearly defined graphic. Do you remember where you got it? I’d like to do a larger edge lit one for one of the tables in my wedding. You did a great job on it!

You could not find better 3d detail and you could even make a step outside and get as.good and accurate view as you could want.

I bought a bunch of these for future gift-making. Thanks so much for the pointer and the templates!

I’m pretty sure the plastic it comes with is polycarbonate. It scratches very easily.

I found that the way the Glowforge cuts in steps around the edge of that semicircular cutout at the bottom where the light shines in causes a kind of starburst effect. That might look nice on some pieces, but the first thing I made was a photo engrave where it was distracting, so I smoothed it out with a bit of sandpaper and got a much better result.

Oh, a couple of other tips I just remembered. Don’t make the spacer transparent – in the Tardis pic you can see that it’s black, which is a very good idea. Otherwise the LED shines right out into your face. You’d can also see there’s a little hole visible at the bottom. I was able to get rid of that by pressing down on the spacer while tightening the screws. A small adjustment to the design might make it fit better and not leave that gap.

3 Likes

Did you figure this out? I’m facing the same issue. Thinking of a solution.

If I remember right, I used that design up above. I might have modified it slightly. I’ll see if I can find the pattern I used.