LED Standoffs

Not sure if these LED Standoffs have been shared before. One of my first big projects for my GF will be an LED kinetic acrylic sculpture that’s been brewing in my head for months. I just love the subtle light of the led signs and these standoffs make for a really sleek lighting system. Thought I’d share in case someone else finds them inspirational :slight_smile: (Edited to add the cool signs are not mine, just examples from the website.)

Even the non-led standoffs are cool

89 Likes

I can definitely see these in my future, thanx

8 Likes

Those are brilliant!

14 Likes

er, no pun intended

29 Likes

That’s a glowing response! (Pun totally intended :stuck_out_tongue: )

15 Likes

Ohmygosh, I’ve got to have some of these. Thanks for sharing!

6 Likes

Wow what a great idea! How much do they cost?

5 Likes

Thanks for that. They are awesome.

5 Likes

Double pun!

They seem pretty reluctant to publish their pricing and it looks like they may only sell to wholesalers. :frowning:

Maybe a plucky startup might add them to their catalog. :slight_smile:

I managed to dig these up… (~$15 each, but out of stock everywhere)

17 Likes

Those a re impressive!. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks for the link and sharing of your creations.

4 Likes

Wow, that means for a basic sign, you have to add $60 for the LEDs, before you even did any work…

7 Likes

Yeah, that’s pretty steep!

On the other hand, that part would either require a lathe with live tooling (bling bling!) or a secondary operation on a mill, which means more labor. Plus the PCB with side firing LEDs has to be made. I hear PCBs are cheap, but I don’t know how cheap. $2 maybe?

3 Likes

Probably do t necessarily need 4 for a sign, but unless they offer some plain stand offs it is either going to look funny, or we have to use 4…if wholesale gets a decent volume discount, might be something good for the GF shop to carry as an add on item to acrylic proof grade material.

They look great and it’s a fantastic idea

5 Likes

Plain standoffs to match are easy to find. About a buck a piece.

6 Likes

A bit of Google-fu led me to these which only cost $6.50 each (in larger quantities). Perhaps they could be resold via the Glowforge catalog?
http://outwater.com/lg_display.cfm/page/C-22/catalog/2016_Master_Catalog

24 Likes

Very cool!

2 Likes

I’ve purchased several of these from outwater ( and I went to there store in Phoenix), if you can get their catalog they have some very neat stuff and prices are not too bad. (A lot of led ideas)

12 Likes

Great to hear someone here has purchased from them.

2 Likes

You would probably only want one of these per sign (with matching regular standoffs) unless, say, you wanted to be able to tune the sign color on the fly.

2 Likes

Trouble with these is hiding the wires. We so badly need wireless light bulbs

7 Likes