Legends of Elsewhere Character Card Set 1

Hi Everyone! This is my first sharing of a project here, and I’m really excited for it! I’ve had my Glowforge since February and I’ve been challenging myself to make progressively intricate projects, and while I was browsing Pinterest looking for inspiration, I saw some really cool wooden Hearthstone and Pokemon layered cards. I thought to myself “those are really cool, but I don’t play any deck building games like that, so it wouldn’t be meaningful, what else could I do?”

Well my son and I both are really in to video games and I’m a child of many fandoms, so I decided to make us a collection of our favorite legendary characters (starting with some of his favorite video game characters, so I can give this to him for his birthday coming up). I used images I found on the internet (I claim no original artwork here) and some Inkscape slicing and dicing magic later, the Legends were born.

The cards are removable from the display rack, so we can have our collection and swap out which ones are on display. Each card also has a set of feet so it could stand alone. The cards themselves are 3 in x 2.25 in, slightly smaller than a normal size playing card. I used PG Medium Draftboard and a creative combination of markers and colored pencil (paint and I don’t seem to be on speaking terms lately, we had a falling out back in our ceramics era, so I figured I’d take the opportunity to experiment).

I have plans to go beyond video games, in to the Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Disney universes, and beyond (hence the generic but beautifully elegant “Legends of Elsewhere” title for the collection). I’ll happily post additional card sets as I get them completed. Feedback is welcomed, challenges and special requests (possibly) accepted, feel free to reach out to me at legendsofelsewhere@gmail.com if there’s someone you’d like to see me try and make.

I hope everyone enjoys!

46 Likes

Excellent color work, great subject choices. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Love the depth and the color choices! They have a nice “vintage” look to them. Really well designed and executed.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum.
Draftboard, Glowforge, markers, imagination, patience and the desire to make a child happy have combined in a magical way to produce this result. I know this will be a treasured birthday gift. It is so unique and personal.

3 Likes

Welcome, this looks awesome!! Great share!!

1 Like

You did a great job on designing it and carrying out your design. It’ll be fun seeing the other creations you have in mind!

3 Likes

Great job! Welcome to the community! Cannot wait to see what else you create!

5 Likes

Those are awesome! Yes, please show us the additions you make to your collection! And your son is going to love it! Hope his birthday is soon!

2 Likes

Oh wow, your cards and display are SO COOL! Can’t wait to see what else you create.

4 Likes

What Fun! Will there be a Frogger? Maybe a Lunar Lander?

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum and please keep sharing because these amazing cards hit right into my childhood! These are so cool!

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum, this is sooo good! Thanks for sharing :slight_smile: would love to see more of your work. This reminds me of the interface of Dungeon Keeper which was a game I spent many hours playing over and over again from start to finish!

3 Likes

Looks great.

I vote Tetris

4 Likes

I would never have thought of colored pencils on wood. It looks great!

And I suggest the Mandalorian and Grogu.

3 Likes

I never played Lunar Lander, but I could go for Frogger…he’s on the list now! Thank you!

3 Likes

Mando’s on the list, now! Thank you!

1 Like

That is really fun. Love to see how you made it your own. Nice use if color as well

And Oregon Trail?

2 Likes

LOL. Yes! Though I cold never figure out why sally just could not keep from getting sick.

1 Like

I do miss that game.