Normally I submit status reports directly to Support, but thought you guys might appreciate seeing this as well.
Some background for those new:
I’ve been using a PreRelease unit since late February (> 7½ months) at hobby levels of use. Some engraving, some heavy engraving, a lot of cutting…generally something every other day or so.
In all that time, I have never cleaned the lens in the head. I didn’t have a removal tool, they didn’t come with my version of the PRUs.
I bought a removal tool last week when they started offering them in the store and cleaned the lens for the first time in eight months. First the shielded interior of the lens, then the outside that is exposed to the smoke in the machine.
For cleaning, I used a special non-scratching cloth designed specifically for cleaning lenses. (Nothing against the zeiss wipes, I just prefer this for lenses.)
Inside of the lens (Shielded part):
(Spot used shown by arrow.)
I got nuttin!
Outside of the lens: (Exposed part):
Had to zoom in, but I finally found the faint smudge. After eight months of use.
I’d say your air setup that blows the smoke away from the lens works in outstanding fashion!
This thing SO rocks! I might have to clean that lens again in a year or so.
(The solid engineering behind this thing is what I paid for…and that’s a mighty nice feature. Thank you.)