Léon the PROfessional finally arrived!

So Léon arrived on the evening of the 14th (got the golden email on 10/24 and the shipping email on 11/11). I can say it had all 4 handles and the box was in fairly good shape, one corner was a little crumpled and some small scratches and tears here and there.
I got it set up in about 30-40 minutes, no real hiccups.

So what have I been doing all this time?

First project:

(The sticker I serendipitously found this past Saturday at the AWESOME Designer-Con here in lovely Pasadena)

Second project:

I said to myself: “You cut a founder’s ruler, now you’re a pro! You can cut a 3-color acrylic sign as a gift to your wife for believing that your purchase from 2 years ago would someday arrive.”
Note to self: Figure out kerf a little bit better before attempting anything like this again!
Ps.: I hate acrylic cement!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: It’s WAY too liquid, it goes all over the place and then you have to sand and polish the acrylic to fix the marring it caused… :rage: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :rage:

Third project:

K2-SO on black cardstock.
(Need to use a better quality image, compression artifacts caused the blurrines…)

Fourth project:

Skull and crossbones 3D engrave on :proofgrade: thick acrylic, don’t like the banding. Also I should’ve had the top most part be light gray instead of white, so that all of the engrave looks frosted.

Fifth project:

Lon Chaney as the Phantom of the Opera, on :proofgrade: maple plywood.

I’m so enjoying my time with Léon! :grin:

43 Likes

Congrats and thanks for sharing your projects.

2 Likes

Nice start! The best way to learn is by doing.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s jumping in with a vengeance! :smile:
(Love them all…maybe the phantom and hummingbird best…acrylic inlay is really finicky.)

2 Likes

Tell me about it!!
I had to cut like 3 different sets of the purple and the green, and in the end it was mix and match…

2 Likes

BTW You have to zoom into the Phantom, but I used this method and it gave me a neat effect:

6 Likes

Awesome name and awesome projects! Congrats!

1 Like

Leon is one of my favorite movies. It’s so well done.

2 Likes

Love all the characters, they’re all quirky in different ways…

Leon001

1 Like

Very nice!
Regarding the banding, @takitus and @mpipes both explored technique to mitigate surface texture. Defocus and solvent polishing, respectively.
Both achieved a significant improvement.

3 Likes