Leveling system for pour painting

Awesome! I’m going to make one of these for my brother.

I’ll give you that :wink:

1 Like

Paint pouring kept me sane while I was packing for this move! Once a week my BFF and I would blow off everything else and make a giant paint mess. It was awesome. As soon as we get where we’re going and I get my GF set back up, I’m making one of these to send her. :slight_smile:

Here are a few of my favorite pours:

18 Likes

Those are beautiful, @geek2nurse!

Check with your manufacturer, but your acrylic paint might be laser compatible. If it is, you can pour paint onto Proofgrade acrylic and create absolutely stunning earrings and more.

9 Likes

I have seen some that look like geodes, neat stuff.

I am sure the prettiest resins aren’t cheap like craft acrylic though!

Ooh, yes, show the back through the acrylic - I like that idea!!!

1 Like

@dan Thank you!!

@geek2nurse Love the first one!

1 Like

Thank you, Dan! I have tried Ebru or marbling with paints on water that get transferred to paper or parchment. But this pour painting is great idea. Maybe same techniques, e.g. combs, can be used to get designs in poured paint. Must make leveler and try it.

1 Like

I LOVE to pour paint - and i’ve never thought of painting on acrylic… yet another project to keep me distracted during quarantine - Thanks Dan! :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes indeed. I’m going to be making some stonecoat table tops later this summer. This is going to help quite a bit.

thanks Dan!

1 Like

These are gorgeous!!!

1 Like

Has anyone tried to cut acrylic paint yet?

There’s been lots of discussion previously on pre-painting and then cutting, if that’s what you mean. Here’s one that’s engraved, not cut, but same difference, really:

That’s really cool. Do you know if it has to be a special kind of paint? Or does any acrylic work?

For laser cutting? Anything that doesn’t off-gas chlorine when it burns is fine. For pouring? You mix stuff in the paint to get it to flow – search YouTube for “paint pour” to be engrossed for hours. :slight_smile:

I took up acrylic fluid art (as I describe it) a few years back and I love it -I even started a YouTube channel to share my videos - so they’re some of the millions you can find as mentioned by @dan

There are many different forms, some abstract, almost marble like and others with more of a planned composition.

I think this is a great idea I may have to “borrow” as the levelling problem can be a pain at times!

Here are a couple of my favourite pieces - the first one I made in honour of my friends across the pond! I hope you like! And thanks Dan & Daughter for the inspiration!

11 Likes

Wow! Now another rabbit hole I have to dive down & another artist I’ll never be able to match except in my dreams :smiley:

1 Like

Overwhelmingly kind words James! But as @dan mentioned in the OP, this technique is very easy to get started with, is so much fun and with a little experimentation with mixed media elements, as I’ve done, you can get really interesting results! You should go for it! Hit me up if you want some tips/advice! Always happy to help encourage more to have a go at this!

Yours were the first I really loved - the others are interesting but not compelling. Too “modern art” - I don’t see any definition or content (and the colors are way more muted than yours). I can do that. But it doesn’t sing to me.

I would buy and hang yours in the house.

2 Likes

Well as much as I struggle with accepting praise, I have to say it certainly fills me with confidence to hear feedback like that! Thank you!
The ‘Jazz Club’ Sax painting was a commission and is now on display in a Jazz Club in Australia somewhere!
The Chameleon ‘Leon’ is on display in my house as it’s my wife’s favourite and the US flag (my all time favourite) is in my studio awaiting a coat of resin but I’m loathe to selling that one - I do intend on making some more of a similar ilk, on a larger scale so maybe sometime you can have one!

5 Likes