Lid is loose at the right hinge

Hi Glowforge,

My lid has become loose at the right. I noticed when it wasn’t flush and aligned with the surface on the right. I shot a video better describing the issue, it’s on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9jWNB9KG-w

Best regards

Christian

Has the lid actually come loose…or is it just not flush with the rest of the top? If the latter, it’s a fairly common occurance and can be mitigated by putting a ‘shim’ under one end of the Glowforge and adjusting it until the lid becomes flush again. I’ve had a shim under mine for a very long time. Is your Glowforge still under warrenty? This post has opened a ticket with support and they will get back to you about this.

2 Likes

The lid is loose where it’s supposed to be attached to the hinge. If you see the video posted on Youtube, you can see a gap occurring when raising the lid.

1 Like

There are some DIY fixes here on the forum that have had less than stellar results long term, or you can send it in to Glowforge to have them do a professional repair. The first might work out for a while, the second is going to be kind of pricey due to shipping costs and the fact that they will do a complete overhaul on the machine to fix anything that needs fixing, but will probably keep the machine running trouble free for longer.

Up to you which one you want to do right now. Search the Beyond the Manual section of the forum for “lid repair”.

1 Like

The unit is still covered by warranty, so hopefully I should have no expense on having it fixed properly.
I would also say, that sending it back would help improve the design, by analyzing the weaknesses.

3 Likes

Yep, if you’re warrantied, they will take care of it. Definitely the way to go. Just wait to hear from them what the next steps are, it takes them some time to set it up.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we repair this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.

2 Likes