Lid Lights Dim When Closed

You might want to unplug each one and the plug it back in to make sure they’re really clicked together, not just looking that way.

3 Likes

Thanks, I plan on doing that once I’ve gotten the go ahead from the main support folks, don’t want to risk voiding the warranty. Probably also makes sense to clean the contacts with some denatured alcohol too.

Maybe just me - but I wouldn’t use denatured alcohol…

Any particular reason?

I had the same thought.

I’d start small, and save aggressive solvents for last resort.

I probably should’ve said isopropyl alcohol, which is usually the solvent of choice for electronics. It helps that alcohol of any variety removes wood residues from lasering extremely well.

Like I said, I’m going to wait till I hear from the main support to actually do anything on the electronics, but cleaning with some form of alcohol seems like the logical step after reseating the ribbon cables.

2 Likes

Denatured is kind of a catch all. It really depends on what the denaturing agent is.

If both strings of LED’s flicker when you touch the cable, then the connection to look at is the main one at the back of the lid.

1 Like

Yup, both strings flicker simultaneously.

I’ve scanned around and read the warranty, but still can’t tell whether disconnecting and reseating the ribbon cable voids the warranty. Does anyone know for sure on this? I could see how it might fall under “modification of the hardware.”

1 Like

You’re probably safe trying it, but if you feel uncomfortable doing it you can wait to hear from Support. (And they will probably want to see that video.) :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks, if it was my personal machine I’d go ahead and do that. Since it’s the machine at a makerspace I think I’ll hold off until I hear from support.

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.