Lid open error, don’t know why

Have been working on crafting projects with my wife all day. No issues. Suddenly we get a lid open error. Checked all the doors, gave it a cleaning under the front door and at the sensors, and still getting the error message.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

There’s a black cable at the back right of the machine, that goes from the machine to the lid. Check to make sure the connectors are seated properly. You may end up needing a new one, though; that’s been a common point of failure over time. (They’ve started making them longer now, so they don’t get stressed as much.)

6 Likes

I will check that. It’s a new unit, we have only had it about 3 months, and have only really been using it regularly for about the last three weeks.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums! That should have made it one of the longer ribbons but those connections are very sensitive. If the lid was opened to the max or the ribbon disturbed during cleaning could throw it off. The lid open sensors are also as they do need to be and any small thing that gets trapped near the lid or sides of the front door can throw it. I even had a stiff latching mechanism on the front door throw it so just pushing it in the last millimeter settled the sensors.

Interestingly because it has a “Z” passage there is a bit of space between the door and the lid so if the exhaust is blocked or messed up that will be among the first places the smoke gets out.

If you still can’t fix the issue get photos as noted here and also close-ups of each end of the ribbon in the back so when Support gets to it they will have the data they need.

1 Like

Just took the photos. Everything looks connected, the bottom door seems loose at bottom left though…

2 Likes

So post the pictures here as this is the support file you have opened as if you email the it will open another support number and make the task and resolution tale longer.

2 Likes

Thank you for the wonderful help everyone!

@karen_prattpaskawych thanks for providing those photos. Can I have you check a few more things as well? If you see a step you’ve already done, just let me know that you skipped it.

1. Power off your Glowforge

2. Open the lid and front door of your Glowforge

3. Remove your crumb tray

4. Check for and remove any debris that may prevent the front door from closing properly, particularly the area underneath the front door

5. Close the front door and lid

6. Power your Glowforge back on

7. If you’re still receiving the Lid Open message without the crumb tray installed, please take a look at the following photos and let me know anything looks different. If you see anything that looks different, please take a picture and send it to us. You already sent us four of the photos, we will just need the last two. Also, if the lights on the lid of your Glowforge are not lighting up, please let me know.

​ ​

​ ​

2 Likes

Here are the two photos. The lights work fine, have not noticed any dimming of them. There is a slight play in the bottom left hand side (as you look at it) of the door that seems to put it slightly out of place, like whatever is holding the hinge is loose, and the lid seems very slightly lifted (visible in one of our photos) but I think it has been that way from day 1.

I am so sorry to hear that the trouble with the lid open error has been ongoing. Thank you for taking the time to post those photos for us. I have followed up in email about your next steps, so I am going to close this thread.