Lid Open Error, Stopped Mid Print

Printer abruptly stopped mid-print and spit the error “Lid Open”

Cleaned the lid and checked connection points.
Machine is level.

Noticed a section of LEDs in the lid are burnt out? Not sure if this is related to the issue.

Went ahead and unplugged and cleaned the connection points for the lid cable as well.
LEDs are still out and the error still has not cleared.

Yup! the dreaded black ribbon of death feeds the camera, the “lid open” sensor, and the lights are all run through that. It is there at the back of the lid, it is fragile and easily cracked if treated roughly.

Getting a new one is easy enough, but replacing it, not so much. Being fragile, it is easy enough to damage it trying to install it and be back to where you were.

1 Like

HI @BouyeaDesignCo. I’m sorry to hear that you received a lid open error message and stopped mid-print. I saw you also mention some portions of the LED strips not lighting up. This can definitely indicate a loose connection, or cable failure. To help me better address this with troubleshooting, can you take a photo of the lid open, and close ups of the connections highlighted in the photo below:

Please follow the steps below to check the lid connections:

1. Turn off your unit.

2. Open the lid.

3. Using both hands, gently roll the laser arm to the front of the unit.

4. There are 5 clips pictured below. Check each one to ensure it is closed. The clip should lie flat, and you shouldn’t be able to flip it in any direction. Take a close up photo of each connection.

5. Once all connections have been checked for any clip or connector issues, power on the printer and take a photo of the LED strips with any highlights of the portions failing to light up.

I can review those for any next steps or replacements needed, and will be happy to continue working with you until this is resolved. Thank you!

Attachments

Good afternoon,

Apologies for the delay, we were not home this past week.

I went ahead and checked the five connection points and all seem to be secured. The LEDs are only failing on one side of the lid in a large patch on the top and just a few towards the bottom.

After checking if the machine was level and giving it a thorough deep-cleaning I was able to finish the print I was working on, however this issue is still a problem and is continuing to cause issues as I gear up for craft show season.

Attachments

Thank you for checking each of those connections! Since all looks secure, the next step is going to be replacing the black lid cable on your Glowforge. I am going to go ahead and close this post out and send you an email to start getting the order processed.