Lid Risers

For those of you that might be experiencing temperatures right up against the threshold of print or no-print: as has been discussed before, the Glowforge can experience some temperature creep from the electronics within. When it sits idle with the lights, etc. on, the temperature can rise and if you are near the temperature thresholds it can cause a no-print/temp situation, or initiate a cooling pause sooner in the print due to increased coolant temps.

The hinges are pretty awesome on the forge, and they probably don’t have a ton of stress on them if you’re opening the lid the full 90 degrees up… This design props the lid open just a bit, which should let the heat escape, be a little bit quieter than a fully open lid, and provide support for the hinges.

While I don’t have any pictures of these in use (I thought I did, but I can’t find them?), they are super easy to use. The bottom has a foot that rests on the crumbtray. It goes up and sits over the material loading door. And finally, it has a notch on the top that the lid rests in. The SVG only has one; you can just create a copy in the UI and have a pair ready to go.

Lid_riser

25 Likes

Thank you for the file.

3 Likes

Nice work, thank you for sharing

3 Likes

Thank you very much. Great idea.

2 Likes

Great idea!

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ve never had a heat problem, but I just thought of another use for your file. My oven has a convection setting which you can use to dry/dehydrate things, but it only works correctly if you can prop the door very slightly. Enough to leave a crack open for air movement but not enough to disengage the “door is closed” functionality that tells the fan to run. It looks to me like this piece would do the job.

3 Likes

Thanks–a much nicer alternative to just putting piece of scrap leather or thin wood along the edge!

2 Likes

Thanks, used to use scraps… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Great idea!

1 Like