I’m having really confusing problems with an engrave I’m trying on cork. I’m running a gray-scale bitmap vary-power engraving on these, and I’m getting different results run to run. Sometimes it works as expected, but about half the time the lighter sections seem washed out. Has anyone had problems like this? I saw a post dealing with vary power engraving on maple, and that one ended in the unit being returned. I really don’t want to return my unit since its out of warranty now, and it works just fine with everything else I’ve tried.
This is what I’m engraving, and it takes 10+ minutes to get to the point where I can tell if the 40 minute engrave will actually be a success. I’m getting really tired of half-engraving coasters.
The one on the right is what I expect, and got the first time I ran the engraving this afternoon. The one on the right is what I got from the second batch. No changes in settings, no major changes in heat.
I’m had the first run on a day fail and every set after succeed. I’ve had the first one be perfect and the next fail. I’ve had it ping-pong between succeeding and failing. Cleaning the lenses (the left gantry, right head, and focal, plus the head mirror) doesn’t seem to do anything.